So, let's see what happens when Kylie Joy visits Section 36 Music!
When did you first realize music was going to play an enormous part in your life?
I first realized music would be a huge part in my life after I was cast in my first show! I remember little 8 year old me writing on the audition sheet that I only wanted a small part because I was so nervous, but after being a part of the Music Man (which FUN FACT was written about my hometown Mason City, IA,) I was completely addicted to all things music and theater!
What do you enjoy most about performing on stage in front of an audience?
I think what I love most is the energy of a live audience. You can rehearse something a hundred times, but the moment you step onstage, it becomes something completely different. There’s an electricity that comes from sharing that moment with other people, and I love the challenge of being fully present and letting the performance unfold organically.
You are attending grad school at Berklee College of Music. What made Berklee the right choice for you?
I chose Berklee because I didn’t want to put myself in a box. My classical training will always be a huge part of who I am, but I also love musical theater and exploring different styles of music. I’m excited to cross-train my voice, expand my skills as a performer, and become a better voice teacher while learning from some of the best in the industry!Who, or what, would you say are your biggest musical influences?
I’ve been influenced and inspired by so many incredible artists, including Kelli O’Hara, Kristin Chenoweth, Julie Andrews, Nadine Sierra, Renée Fleming, Sabine Devieilhe, Diana Damrau, Audra McDonald, and many more of the greats! However, my biggest musical influence has been my fabulous voice teacher, Gail Pearson. She has completely transformed not only my voice, but also my artistry and the way I approach music. I owe so much of who I am as a singer and artist to her, and I’m incredibly grateful to have had her guidance throughout my journey.
What is the biggest challenge with your musical career?
One of my biggest challenges is learning how to create a sustainable career while still pursuing all of the things that excite me artistically. There are so many opportunities and directions you can take as a musician, and I’m learning how to balance ambition with taking care of myself so that I can have a long, fulfilling career.
What are your immediate musical goals?
My immediate goal is really to give myself permission to explore. I’ve spent so much of my education becoming a stronger classical singer, and now I want to see what happens when I take that foundation and put it into different musical worlds.
--
I'm excited to hear the results of that exploration!
I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going on. Here are the best places to find her:



No comments:
Post a Comment