Monday, August 24, 2026

Katie Joy Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music had another visitor! Katie Joy is an incredible singer, with a single, "Reliving You", that you need to listen to right away.
I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss the song, her future goals, and more!
 I'm sure you'll love what she had to say.

So, let's see what happens when Katie Joy visits Section 36 Music! 

Your recent single, “Reliving You”, is just outstanding. What can you tell me about it?

Reliving You came from a really hard place. For a long time, almost all the music I wrote was about grief. A year after they passed, I realized I was still stuck in that same headspace, like I couldn’t write about anything else. So I decided to write about being trapped in those feelings instead. The song is about the exhaustion of feeling like you’re going in circles. I wanted people who’ve been through something similar to hear it and feel less alone, even if only for a second.


Do you have a favorite memory from the recording process?

The highlight of my experience was working with my producer, Gabby Harwood. She is a Berklee alum, and she made the entire process nearly stress-free. In addition to providing great advice about Berklee, I appreciated the late-night texts and brainstorming sessions we had. Gabby really understood what I was trying to express in my music. She not only helped me enhance the song's sound but also significantly boosted my confidence in my artistry. This is something I will always remember about the recording process for this song. 


You will be attending Berklee College of Music. What made Berklee the right choice for you?

I didn’t even think about music seriously until a couple years ago. I was listening to Lizzy McAlpine’s “Older”, and it completely changed how I saw my own path. Then I found out she went to Berklee, so I applied on a whim. When I got in, it felt like the universe was pointing me in this direction. I wasn’t even looking at other schools because it never occurred to me that something like this would just fall into place. Now that I’m going, my goal is to grow as a musician, learn from people who’ve been where I want to go, and just soak it all in.


Who, or what, would you say are your biggest musical influences?

Lizzy McAlpine is my biggest influence. Her album “Older”, and the deluxe, “Older and Wiser” showed me that music can be both beautiful and honest at the same time. She writes about hard things in a way that makes them feel okay, like she’s giving people permission to feel those emotions without shame. Watching her process in the documentary about the album, how she worked with her friends and other musicians, it lit something in me. I realized that’s exactly what I want to do. Create music that helps people feel seen while pushing myself to grow.


If you could cover any Disney song, which would you choose? Why?

I’d cover “I See the Light” from Tangled because Rapunzel has always been my favorite princess. I loved her as a kid; she’s curious and determined. I sang this song a lot back then, and it's definitely a favorite of mine. Plus, it has a theme of hope, which connects with what I want to express in my music.


What are your immediate musical goals?

Right now, I’m focused on releasing more music. I recently signed a distribution deal, so I’m hoping to put out more tracks while figuring out how to produce them affordably. Performing live is also a big goal. I want to get more comfortable on stage and connect with audiences in a real way. I’m also hoping to meet other musicians who vibe with my style and maybe collaborate with student producers who can help bring my ideas to life. Mostly, though, I want to improve my lyrics and gain confidence performing. It’s intimidating, but I know it’s where I need to be.


--


Those are goals I can get behind!


As always, I want to thank Katie for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview. 

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going on. Here are the best places to find her:




No comments:

Post a Comment