Thursday, December 21, 2023

Emily Sclar Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor!
 Emily Sclar is a talented vocalist and violinist who manages to combine those talents into one incredible package.
 I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Emily Sclar visits Section 36 Music!

You recently had a wonderful Caf Show. What do you enjoy about performing live on stage?

The Caf show was an absolute blast! What I love most about performing on stage is the energy that it brings. I feel that performance energy is something that moves through me and out into the audience leaving me with a blissful experience. I love how performing brings out a different state of consciousness within me. It can often feel like I am in the "flow state" because when I am performing music that I am passionate about, it feels easy to be completely present which is a wonderful gift.  


As a talented violinist, how do you infuse both violin and vocals into your performances and releases?

Combining violin and vocals has been something I have been doing ever since I started recording my music. I have always identified as a singer and a violinist so it is hard for me to stick to just one. I love how the two can complement each other. When I record my music it usually starts off with just my voice and the piano. After that, all of these violin parts come into my head and for most of my music, beautiful string arrangements are born. I love having my violin in hand while I sing my songs on stage because it allows me to express the music in a different way. Overall it helps me tell the story of the song better and it is always fun to talk a solo in the instrumental breaks of the music. 


You’re a music therapy major of Berklee College of Music. How does that focus shape your performances and releases?

Being a music therapy major has taught me so much. Music not only is here for our pleasure, but it is here to heal. As I learn about and witness different clients go through their own healing journeys with music, it reminds of why I got into music in the first place. There is intention behind the songs I write and most of my music holds quite a bit of emotional depth. Each song that I write heals a different part of my body, mind, and spirit. I feel that if writing this music can help me, then it can help others, because the emotional human experience is often universal. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I would say my biggest musical influences at the moment would be a mix of violin fusion artists and Indie folk artists such as Noel Pointer, Jean-Luc Ponty, Lindsey Stirling, Birdy, and Maggie Rogers. 


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

I would say my biggest challenge would be the marketing and promotional aspect of the industry. I prefer to be disconnected from my phone as much as possible which is hard for an artist to do these days. There is so much pressure to be posting reels every week on social media and constantly promoting yourself which can often be exhausting. I have a desire to be heard and I also have a desire to take care of myself. Finding the balance is tricky but I am always dedicated to figuring out what works best for me.


What are your immediate music goals?

My immediate music goals are to book more shows with my band, release my new EP ( coming soon:)), and to find my music therapy internship site! 


---


I can't wait to hear that EP!  


As always, I want to thank Emily for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to learn more a her and see what she has going on. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Emily, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment