Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Lucy Frost Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Lucy Frost is a fantastic singer, whose recent single, "Amnesia", is simply outstanding. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Lucy Frost visits Section 36 Music!

I absolutely love your recent single, “Amnesia”. What can you tell me about it?

I wrote Amnesia about 2 years ago. I came across this melodic line on the piano that I was absolutely obsessed with, so I recorded myself playing it over and over again. I think the fact that I listened to this one line so much until it was totally stuck in my head, made the lyrics just flow right out. It basically took me a day to then write the rest of the song, and now I’m super excited to be sharing it with the world!


What is your favorite memory from the recording process?

I recorded Amnesia with my producer, Doc, over the span of two days in New York. This was one of the fastest sessions I’ve done; a lot of just writing and thinking on the spot but it goes to show how cemented Amnesia was as a concept for me, and Doc was able to perfectly produce it out. And we did it all while watching Star Wars in the studio, which of course, makes everything more fun! 


You also compose scores for films and television. What do you enjoy about that creative endeavor?

I’ve always been a huge movie fanatic ever since I was little. I would figure out movie scores by ear on the piano and then play them for my family. This love and fascination with soundtracks ultimately led to me studying film scoring at Berklee for 3 years. The thing that captivates me the most about composing for film and TV however, is the storytelling. It’s all about using music to communicate a time, place and raw emotion that otherwise words cannot describe. This same concept has started to play into my songwriting as well; I think I've learned how to be relatable to my audience through the power of storytelling. The fact that your music can have such a strong effect on someone just from them watching a scene or listening on the radio, is the reason I continue to create art everyday.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I would say Billie Elish has been a top candidate for me for years. The intimacy of her voice and lyrics has been a major inspiration for sure. That said, I’m not someone who sticks with just one genre or artist. My music is constantly being influenced by rock, movie scores, country, latin pop, everything. Right now, I’m especially into singer, Jesse Jo Stark, as well as 60's French music by Françoise Hardy. I don’t know why.


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

I think in this day and age, especially as a musician trying to get your foot in the door, social media is really constricting. I can’t deny that it is an incredible tool that can get your song heard by more people than ever before, but as an artist, it definitely forces you to put your music in a box in order to get even remotely recognized. Everyone can get heard these days, everyone can get a million views, but identifying that truly timeless aspect of your music and having that heard by the world, has to be the most challenging part about this. I’m constantly striving to find and share that authentic sound only unique to me, that will hopefully have an impact on others for a long time, not just a short minute of fame. 


What are your immediate music goals?

I have so much to share and so much I want to do, so right now it’s about getting my vision seen and continuing to release as much music as possible! Consistency is key, and I admit, I'm definitely the type of person that wants to do like, ten things at once, so just trying to focus on getting my music out to listeners like you one song at a time is my goal for right now.


---


I can definitely relate to those challenges. How about you?  


As always, I want to thank Lucy for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going of. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify as well as bookmark her website to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Lucy, and good luck reaching your goals!




No comments:

Post a Comment