Monday, December 18, 2023

Calele Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Calele is an incredible singer whose single "My Everything
" in one you absolutely need to track down. I was so excited she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say. In addition, because of her large Spanish speaking fanbase, she was nice enough to answer the questions in both English and Spanish for us. 

So, let's see what happens when Calele visits Section 36 Music!

It’s been a couple years since your debut single, “My Everything”? Any new studio work in your future?

I released my first single, “My Everything,” in 2021. Since then, I’ve been focusing a lot on my studies and work, but I have been writing a lot of new music! Right now, I’m mixing and mastering my next tune, titled “Here I Am” with another Berklee student who studies MP&E, Vera Arnot. Such an outstanding sound engineer and human being! That tune will be coming soon next year, in early 2024! I’m super excited about it because it’s more me. Also, the musicians who recorded this tune are KILLING! Piano: Anastassiya Petrova, Bass: Ciara Moser, Drums: Shadrack Oppong. So be on the lookout for that!!!!!


Lancé mi primer sencillo “My Everything” en 2021. Y desde entonces me he centrado mucho en mis estudios y en mi trabajo, ¡pero he estado escribiendo mucha música nueva! Ahora mismo estoy en el proceso de mezclar y masterizar mi próximo tema titulado “Here I am” con otra estudiante de Berklee que estudia MP&E; Vera Arnot. ¡Ella es una ingeniera de sonido y ser humano tan increíble! ¡Esa canción la sacaremos el próximo año, a principios de 2024! Estoy muy emocionada porque siento que va más en camino a lo que quiero hacer. Además, ¡los músicos que grabaron esta canción son BUENISIMOS! Piano: Anastassiya Petrova, Bajo: Ciara Moser, Batería: Shadrack Oppong. ¡¡¡Así que estén atentos a eso!!!!!



In addition to vocals, you also incorporate trumpet into your music. What do you like about combining those two instruments?

I started playing trumpet in late 2019, and it has been life-changing. I love combining vocals and trumpet because I love the mixture and contrast. The trumpet is an extension of one's voice, adding that extra color. As a relatively new trumpeter, I'm not at a very advanced level, haha! My current goals are improving at that instrument and raising my level to do what I envision. 


Empecé a tocar la trompeta a finales de 2019 y me cambió la vida. Me encanta combinar la voz y trompeta porque la mezcla y el contraste me fascina. La trompeta es una extensión de la voz, por lo que añade ese color extra. Debo confesar que como soy relativamente un trompetista nueva no estoy en un nivel tan avanzado ¡jaja! Mis objetivos actuales son mejorar en mi instrumento y elevar el nivel para poder hacer lo que anhelo e inspirar a las jóvenes.



You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What made Berklee the right choice for you?

I am a third-semester Berklee student and love it! Berklee was the right choice for me for many, many reasons. I lived and grew up in Boston. I attended Berklee City Music in preparation for entering Berklee College; my parents went to Berklee and currently teach here. So, the simple answer is my life led me on this path. Berklee is one of the best contemporary music schools in the world. Berklee is my second home and probably will forever be. 


¡Estoy en mi tercer semestre en Berklee y me encanta! Berklee fue la elección correcta para mí por muchas razones. Vivo actualmente y crecí en Boston. Asistí a Berklee City Music como preparación para ingresar a Berklee College, mis padres fueron a Berklee y actualmente enseñan aquí. Entonces la respuesta simple es que mi vida me llevó por este camino. Berklee es una de las mejores, escuelas de música contemporánea del mundo. Berklee es mi segundo hogar y probablemente lo será siempre.



Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

My biggest musical influences are very different, but all make me who I am. I grew up in the jazz world/scene (because of my parents, who are jazz musicians), so of course, the greatest voices of all time: Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Dianne Reeves, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Miles Davis. I love PJ Morton, Stevie Wonder, and Earth Wind and Fire. They speak to me, and I hope to create music that makes people feel the way their music makes me feel. I also love jazz big band music. My family has also highly contributed a lot to my musicality: my dad, Danilo Perez, and my mother, Patricia Zarate de Perez, my sister, Daniela Perez, and my little brother Danilo Perez Jr. Jr. I also love salsa, reggaeton, RnB, afrobeat and electronic music. I love listening to and creating all types of music and hope to combine them in the future. 


Mis mayores influencias musicales son muy diferentes pero todas me hacen quien soy. Crecí en el mundo/escena del jazz (debido a que mis padres son músicos de jazz), así que, por supuesto, las mejores voces de todos los tiempos: Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Diane Reeves, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Carmen McRae. Y en trompeta me encanta Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Miles Davis, y mas. Tambien amo a Pj Morton, Al Jarreau, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson y Earth Wind and Fire, realmente me encantan y espero crear música que haga que la gente sienta lo que su música me hace sentir a mí. También me encanta música de big band jazz. Mi familia también ha contribuido mucho: mi papá Danilo Pérez y mi mamá Patricia Zárate de Pérez, mi hermana Daniela Pérez y mi hermano pequeño Danilo Pérez jr jr. También me encanta la salsa, el reggaeton, el RnB, el afrobeat y la música electrónica. Me encanta escuchar y crear todo tipo de música y espero combinarlos en el futuro. 



What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

Honestly, my biggest challenge is that I don’t think I’ve even started my music career yet, I've been trying to focus on studying so that when I feel “ready,” I will have the knowledge to do what I want. I struggle with writing a lot of new music and recording it. I have started a lot of things, and it’s just a matter of taking the time to make an idea a reality and share it with the world. 


Honestamente, creo que mi mayor desafío es el hecho de que creo que ni siquiera he comenzado mi carrera musical aun. Es decir, he estado tratando de concentrarme en estudiar para que cuando me sienta "lista" tenga el conocimiento para hacer lo que quiera. Me cuesta escribir mucha música nueva y grabarla. He empezado muchas cosas y solo es cuestión de tomarse el tiempo para hacer la idea una realidad y compartirla con el mundo.



What are your immediate music goals?

My immediate music goal is finishing my next tune, “Here I Am” and finally releasing it! Writing new music, finishing it, and gigging with my new band based in Boston (Also in Panama) “Calele and the Global Soul”. Also, start promoting myself as an artist and getting more comfortable with the idea that I could be an artist while I continue my studies. Some great mentors have mentioned that there will never be a time when you feel ready; do it now or else when? And who else?. And in my 2024 goals list, I hope to launch my first EP or album, depending on the quantity and quality of the material. 


¡Mis objetivos musicales inmediatos son terminar mi próxima canción “Here I am” y finalmente lanzarla! Escribir música nueva y terminarla, y presentar mi nueva banda ahora en Boston (también en Panamá) “Calele and the Global Soul”. También comenzar a promocionarme como artista y a sentirme más cómoda con la idea de que puedo ser artista mientras continúo mis estudios. Algunos grandes mentores han mencionado que nunca habrá un momento en el que te sientas preparado, hazlo ahora porque sino, cuando? Y quien más lo hará?. Y en mi lista de objetivos para 2024 espero lanzar mi primer EP o álbum dependiendo de la cantidad y calidad del material.



---


I'm definitely excited for new music from her!  


As always, I want to thank Calele for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going on. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify. I would also bookmark her website to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Calele, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment