Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Coco Colette Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor!
 Coco Colette is a fantastic singer, with a recent single, "
Grown", that absolutely needs to be on your playlist. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Coco Colette visits Section 36 Music!

I absolutely love your first single, “Grown”. What can you tell me about it?
Thank you <3 I wrote this song back in the summer of 2022 - I was living in an apartment with 3 of my friends and was going through a really hard time. As the song alludes to, I was falling behind on things like my dishes and laundry, but those were just examples of a bigger struggle. I was coming face to face with growing up - being away from my family and, at the time, working a fulltime job for the first time. I was so overwhelmed and what helps me the most when I feel that way is writing music. So “grown” was born, and now I look back on it and things haven't changed all too much, but, in all of its irony, I really have grown and I’m trying to take each day one at a time. 


Do you see more studio work in your future?

I hope so!! I thrive as a writer, singer, and performer, so everything that goes into recording is very intimidating to me. I have some great friends who helped me with “grown”, and I hope I can continue to find collaborators for more recorded music in the future. 


You are a member of The Downbeats, a Northeastern University a capella group. What is that experience like?

I love it - The Downbeats have been a huge part of my college experience. Being a part of this group really encouraged me to pursue my own music as well. We have had so many incredibly talented musicians in our group and I learned so much from them. A few of our graduated members make music as well, and they made me feel like it was possible for me to perform on my own too. My confidence and voice have benefited so much from being in this group and I’m very proud to be a part of it. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

This is a tough question for me! My music has really evolved over time, but I think right now the Lumineers and Noah Kahan have definitely influenced my musical style. I’m finding my voice in a more folky indie sound, and I am so excited to explore that more. I'm also really influenced by so many singer-songwriters, I love listening to a wide breadth of musicians because there is so much to be inspired by and experiment with.


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

I would say my biggest challenge is the fact that I don’t have recording, producing, mixing, or mastering experience/ability. Because I have to depend on others for these aspects of recording music, there is a pretty large barrier between me writing the song and performing it, to actually getting it out on streaming platforms. I hope that in the future I become more confident in asking others to help me through this process.


What are your immediate music goals?

I would love to just get out there and perform more! Booking isn’t the easiest in Boston, especially for smaller acoustic artists, but I am trying to get my foot in the door. Hopefully you will see me doing more open mics and shows around Boston in 2024!


---


Would definitely be great to see her around Boston in the year to come!  


As always, I want to thank Coco for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to learn more a her and see what she has going on. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Coco, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment