Thursday, December 14, 2023

Alexa Name Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor!
 Alexa Name is a fantastic singer, whose recent single, "
Unaware", should already be on your playlists. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Alexa Name visits Section 36 Music!

I just love your latest single, “Unaware”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you so much! I'm glad you love the song. "Unaware" was inspired by a "will-they-won't they" situation where a friend of mine, who I had a crush on, would only show their true feelings for me when they weren't sober. It was a really confusing game where that person (and I, to be honest) would say one thing and do another, mixed with all the little things you do to get closer to a crush that they don't notice. 


I remember writing the first half of the song and being so excited about it, especially the chorus. I ended up asking an incredibly talented friend of mine, Niara Kwanza, to co-write the second half with me. She is an amazing songwriter and our lyrical styles match quite well so the song turned out exactly how I wanted it to. 


Which Disney song would you most want to cover?

Probably "I Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" from the first HIgh School Musical movie soundtrack. The song wasn't actually in the film; it was just part of the soundtrack. It's so good and lowkey underrated, in my opinion. If we're going animated Disney though, "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" from The Lion King was on repeat when I was little.


You’re a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What is the biggest thing Berklee has done for your career?

As cliché as it sounds, all of the friends I made there changed my life. Also, the amount of talent surrounding you at all times is so enrapturing and stimulating. You end up becoming better by pure osmosis and, of course, a lot of time and effort. It's so easy to be inspired there. I made so many friends who I now work with on my music and I collab on theirs too. Within all the people I met, John Raidt and Nicco Sanchez, who have a group called Lavend3r, are a music powerhouse. We have made so much music together and I even released my first song with them called "GODDAMN BABY!" who my extremely talented friend Zani also worked on. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

In terms of early influences, Michael Jackson definitely has to be my biggest one. His music has so much heart and soul, and he is also the reason why I started dancing hip-hop. Nowadays, I have so many artists that inspire me in different ways. I would say that Dua Lipa and Ed Sheeran are at the top of the list. However, I have made it a point to myself to go to as many concerts as I can in order to watch more artists "in action" and learn from their performances. Sort of how football players watch other games to understand what they're doing right and what they can get better at. One semester at Berklee, I went to 23 concerts for that reason. From Lauv to Post Malone to Panic! At The Disco, every artist was so different and so inspiring and there is so much to absorb in every show. 


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

To be honest, I have been so lucky to have friends that are incredibly talented and that have become a part of my team. From making all of my songs to now releasing them and making plans for the future, I have a team that I am extremely grateful to have. I love what I do and they have made this process fun and exciting. There's nothing like being in the studio recording with my friends and building a song that started with me and my guitar. I can't wait for what's to come in the future!


What are your immediate music goals?

I have so much music that I want to release and can't wait for everyone to hear. I describe my songs as "happy heartbreak anthems" so they will be fun to share and to sing and dance along to. 2024 is going to be a big year for me in that sense and now it's all about letting the music do its thing and connecting with as many people as I can.  


---


I'm definitely excited for new music!  


As always, I want to thank Alexa for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going on. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify  to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Alexa, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment