Monday, May 16, 2022

Alicia Nicole Visits Section 36 Music!

Photo Paige Sierra
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Alicia Nicole is just bursting with talent, who who you may know from her outstanding single "When Heaven Comes". I was thrilled she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Alicia Nicole visits Section 36 Music!

I really liked your single “When Heaven Comes”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you! Yes, this was one of those songs that came to me a little easier. I heard the beat, which sounded a little different than the final release, and I came up with the melody to the intro. This song is about me looking back at who I used to be from the place I’m at now. It’s about stripping away all the habits I had that didn’t serve me. I use the lyrics


 “I had to kill her in my sleep 

Thoughts wouldn’t let me succeed

I had to kill her in my dreams” 


as a visual representation of letting go of doubtful thoughts and people pleasing tendencies that held me back from accomplishing my goals and becoming a badass business women. This song for me is also my way of calling out the people that want to throw shade and dim someone’s light. Believing in yourself is not always easy with those people around but once you start really truly doing so it’s like you’ve unlocked the matrix.


Are there any other projects you’re currently working on?

Yes, I’m currently working on a couple of singles that I’ll be releasing soon. I don’t have a set date on the release just yet though.


You had the chance to study at Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing that’s doing for your career? 

Berklee has really helped me transform as a musician. Although I’m still working on my degree (electronic music production and sound design) I have a lot more tools in my belt than I did before. Now I know how to read music and analyze it in a more advanced way. This makes working with other musicians a lot easier. Not only have I learned the foundations of music but I’m also diving into the business and marketing end of things as well. As an independent artist I think it’s very important to learn the business side so there’s less chance of being taken advantage of. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

My first musical influence was Pat Benatar. She was the first woman I saw perform live at age 6 or 7 and I was blown away, in that moment I knew I wanted to be performing on stage. Some of my other influences are Ann Peebles, Sade, Christina Aguilera, Erykah Badu, Celia Cruz, Selena Quintanilla, Summer Walker, Kali Uchis, Ariana Grande, and Hiatus Kaiyote. The list goes on but those are definitely the top. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

In an industry where women represent less than a 1/3 of artists and only 3% are producers there are bound to be some challenges. The biggest challenge I’ve faced is lack of respect or validation. It’s not until I mention I study electronic music production and sound design at Berklee that I’m taken seriously. I shouldn’t have to name drop just because I’m a woman and have to “prove” I’m supposed to be there and my opinion matters. This happens to so many women at any level in the industry and it’s time for a change. I’m definitely seeing more power house women push their way to the forefront which is creating so much more space for the women following after them. 


What are your immediate career goals?

I would love to finish an album and go on a mini tour to get my music out there to different communities. 


---


A mini tour sounds like a lot of fun!


As always, I want to thank Alicia for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. The best way to do that is probably to follow her on Instagram and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both of those right now!

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Alicia has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Alicia, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment