Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Laura Estabridis Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor!  Laura Estabridis is an amazing singer fresh off the release of her single "Free". I was so excited she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Laura Estabridis visits Section 36 Music!

I couldn’t stop listening to your recent single, “Free”. What can you tell me about it?

“Free” is a very special project for me since it was the first song I ever worked on from the writing process all the way to the release. It all began around a year before coming to Berklee College of Music (2018) I was currently living in Lima Peru were I met the amazing producer and songwriter León Merino who co-wrote and produced the song in order to bring it to life. 


In the process, we put together parts of our own romantic experiences and channeled it into the story of a woman who is desperately trying to escape a toxic relationship. This was very interesting to develop through electronic pop since we were able to express the feeling of finally being free of this relationship through an energetic synth drop. 


After three years since the beginning of this project I am no longer very involved in the electronic music scene. However, I’m very proud of this song and I’m so happy it’s out for the world to hear! This project taught me a lot and definitely set grounds for future releases. 


What did you enjoy most about the recording process?

Back in 2018 I didn’t really have much experience with professional recording so  getting to spend time in the studio and watch the amazing engineer (Wisdom) work his magic was amazing. We spent many hours trying to get the perfect interpretation for each phrase in order to capture the intention of the lyrics. Overall, the entire process was so new and exciting for me. However, I must admit that my favorite part was when I first heard back the compilation of the vocals takes. That’s when I felt we had something really special coming. 


You are currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee’s doing for your career? 

Berklee College of Music has been a dream come true. I am currently working towards a double degree in Songwriting and Music  Production & Engineering. This has helped me a lot mainly in terms of gaining knowledge on how the recording world works. As an independent artist this was crucial in order to be more self sufficient when working on new music. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

To this moment I would consider Adele, Lady A and Fleetwood Mac to be some of my main influences. During the pandemic I spent six months living in Kentucky with my best friend and his family, where I was introduced to country music and learned to love it. However, for this particular track we were inspired by more pop and electronic music such as Chainsmokers and Halsey. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I consider one of my biggest challenges to be finding that push to pick a song to develop. Sometimes it can be hard to look at my own work and decide it’s ready or “finished” enough to build it up to a release. I’m trying to be better about it now since I began to remind myself that not everything has to be “perfect” as long as it’s something I’m proud of, have a deep connection to or want to share with other people. 


What are your immediate career goals?

Talking about breaking the cycle, I recently decided to begin working on a new song this summer. I’m still not sure in which direction to take it but that’s definitely something I’m excited to start soon so definitely watch out for a new release in the fall! I still have a year left at Berklee so I want to spend it getting ready to make that leap into the real world, deciding which direction to go in terms of future work opportunities and building an online presence as an independent artist. 


---


I know I'll definitely be on the lookout for that release!


As always, I want to thank Laura for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. The best way to do that is probably to follow her on Instagram and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both of those right now! 

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything she has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Laura, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment