Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Aryn Visits Section 36 Music!

Photo Marcu Fotography
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Aryn is an incredibly talented singer, who last year released her debut EP "No Labels". I was so glad she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Aryn visits Section 36 Music!

I’m a huge fan of your debut album “No Labels”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you so much! "No Labels" was a pandemic project that came to life when I really started taking myself seriously as a songwriter. It is a story of my life from about 2015 to now and each song represents a different aspect of my life in that time period in chronological order. It started off as a couple singles, and then an EP, and then an album because the songs just spilled out of me. It actually got its name because of my friend and collaborator on the album Natalie DiPeitro. We were in the writing session for "Bulletproof" (Which ended up being an almost 7 hour zoom call where we completed the whole writing process and a demo) and I was explaining to her how I struggle with putting my music into a genre because I feel like it doesn't necessarily just fit under one, and she suggested I call the album "No Labels" and embrace that. It fit so well because that idea of not fitting into one box or one label has always been a part of my life whether its socially, musically, at one point my sexuality, and that's a message I always want to put forward is to be yourself and don't feel the pressure from people in your life or society to fit yourself somewhere you don't feel you belong.  


What was your favorite part of the recording process?

Photo Marcu Fotography
My favourite part is always working with my producer, mixing engineer, mastering extraordinaire Saul De Anda. I love recording my vocals and layering harmonies, but my favourite part for sure is watching everything come together. I am super involved in every part of the production and it's such an incredible and collaborative process. There is nothing like hearing a song come to life in a way that I couldn't even imagine. 


You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing that’s doing for your career? 

Photo Marcu Fotography
It has introduced me to some of the most incredible people in the industry, from professionals to my friends. It's networking but in such an authentic way. You build relationships, jam together, get vulnerable and end up making so many incredible connections. It also solidifies a lot of knowledge I had but didn't know I did, and stretches me as an artist. Probably the most surreal thing to come from Berklee thus far is meeting Harry Connick Jr and Natalie Weiss. They are two people I have looked up to for a very long time and wouldn't have gotten that opportunity without Berklee.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

Photo Marcu Fotography
I have so many. The first person who sparked my brain for music was Charlotte Church. I was classically trained and she has multiple classical vocal albums that I would listen to every night going to sleep. The next big artist for me was Lady Gaga. Some more influential artists for me are Keith Urban, Shania Twain, Michael Buble, Il Divo,  Harry Connick Jr, Pentatonix, Harry Styles, Adele, Demi Lovato, Yebba, Lizzy McAlpine, Billie Eilish, Avi Kaplan, Olivia Rodrigo, Blake Shelton, and Taylor Swift. I have so many people who I love for so many different reasons and they all have contributed to some aspect of my musicianship today. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I think my biggest career challenge has been confidence, as ridiculous as that sounds. I am a very shy, introverted, and apologetic person - so much so that it's quite interesting that I have always chosen this extroverted career path. It requires a lot of energy to push past insecurities and present yourself to your audience. The mental aspect of this industry is so huge and it's something I don't think is spoken about enough. Making sure that you're in a healthy place as a human before being a musician is key. Comparison to other artists, being in it for the "right reasons", and staying authentic are all things that every artist deals with to some extent. Another aspect of this industry that is so important is how you use your platform, however large or small it is. And knowing your audience might not always agree with it. I am a huge people pleaser who wants to make everyone happy and I have had to learn the hard way that it is never going to be possible to do that. 


What are your immediate career goals?

Photo Marcu Fotography
I am currently working towards my degree which will be from my second post-secondary educational institution. I am working towards releasing more music, I have more originals than I know what to do with at the moment. I am honestly just writing as much as I can, making as many connections as I can, and performing as much as I can!


---


Sounds like she has a lot on her plate!


As always, I want to thank Aryn for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Aryn to see what she's up to. The best way to do that is probably to follow her on Instagram and/or Spotify. You should also check out her website. In fact, I suggest doing all of those right now!

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Aryn has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Aryn, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment