Thursday, May 5, 2022

Lui$a Visits Section 36 Music!

Photo Jeton Bylykbashi
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Lui$a is an amazing singer, fresh off the release of her EP "Limelight". I was so glad she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Lui$a visits Section 36 Music!

I absolutely loved your EP “Limelight”. What can you tell me about it?

I began working on this project probably two years ago, I was 15 when I wrote Daily as the lead track and then continued writing the other songs for the EP the following year. All of the songs are written by me and produced by my father and me. It was great to have a theme for the project, that helped me dictate the sound of the songs and give them that certain “spice” they needed. With this EP, I wanted to show my versatility as an artist, so I came up with a project that has a backstory which is super interesting and has an incredible list of songs! “Limelight" used to be a club in New York where everyone felt free to express themselves.I hope to acknowledge (with this project) the artists, models, painters and musicians that all made Limelight a comforting space for the attendees like Madonna, Grace Jones, Jean-Michel Basquiat and Andy Warhol. Each song tells a different story, gives a different vibe and has a different sound, just like the “Limelight” attendees.  


What was your favorite part of the recording process?

Photo Jeton Bylykbashi
My favorite part of the recording process was probably getting to hear the final project and writing the songs. All of the songs have a different meaning and are a fusion of different genres, which makes them more intriguing to my listeners.


Are there any other projects you’re working on? 

Currently, I’m focused on working with other artists as a producer and songwriter at the moment, such as writing songs for them, producing and recording for them and so on. I love writing and producing for others since I enjoy exchanging creative energy with them and learning from their working ethic as performing artists.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

My music is inspired by a range of artists from different genres of music like: Jun Fukamachi, A$AP Rocky, A tribe Called Quest & Rina Sawayama, each of them displaying a different and unique type of style, all of which can be recognized on my tracks, thus presenting a contemporary yet ageless sound to the mainstream scene.


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

Photo Jeton Bylykbashi
It would definitely have to be trying to get you voice heard as a female producer. Female producers often get underestimated in their field of work because of the small percentage they make up in the music production industry, that percentage being 2% female producers and 98% male producers. But, I think that with work and self-promotion, I will break this barrier and help many female musicians secure their spot in the music industry.


What are your immediate career goals?

I always carry a notepad with me that has all my bucket list goals written on it and one of my immediate career goals is to be able to inspire as many young female musicians as I can. Other than that, I have many unusual goals I have written on my notepad such as; to be a judge on Ru Paul’s Drag Race, meet Madonna, make a soundtrack for a sci-fi or a drama movie and attend Battle Hymn (club) in New York.


---


Love that she always has her list of goals handy!


As always, I want to thank Lui$a for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Lui$a to see what she's up to. The best way to do that is probably to follow her on Instagram and/or Spotify. You should also check out her website. In fact, I suggest doing all of those right now!

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Lui$a has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Lui$a, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment