Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Liya's Thrift Store Creation!

Not long ago, Liya shared a video of how she turned a thrift store find into an outfit for her dreamhouse music video. It was quite a drastic transformation, and I knew there had to be a story behind it. So, I took the opportunity to ask her a few questions about the outfit.

I don’t know about you, but one of the first things that popped into my head, was whether the find was an accident. Did she see the item in the store and just know it could become something special, or did she go to the store looking for something…anything…that she could use in the video?

“I love thrifting”, she explained, “and when I do it, I look for two things: 1. pieces that I like the way they are and 2. pieces that have potential, meaning I love the pattern or fabric, even if the piece doesn't fit me well, or at all.”

She continued, “When I bought this shirt, I knew I wanted to
turn it into a two-piece that I can use on stage, as well as for the 'dreamhouse' music video.”

The design was another interesting aspect, “The shirt initially was really big on me, which meant I could do a few things since there was a lot of extra material. So I went with a skirt and a bathing suit-style top with extra long ties.”

I’d say she was happy with the results because she added, “I don't think I'd do anything differently next time, I would just do more of this, haha!"

I think she’ll definitely keep doing this because she’s made a habit of this, including a purple two piece suit that was another thrift flip (linked here or here.) and some amazing feather pants (linked here or here)

And it’s not just clothes. As she added, “I also sew in the 40 inch extensions for the 'dreamhouse' music video myself. I'm planning on making a quick tiktok video/reel showing people how I did that too!”

All in all I’d say Liya has done a great job creating some unique pieces to use on stage and in videos. 

I can’t wait to see more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment