Monday, February 19, 2024

Catching Up With Alyssa Barker

Alyssa Barker was
kind enough to visit with Section 36 Music about three years ago. Since then, she has graduated from Berklee College of Music, and embarked on her music career. Alyssa was kind enough to fill us all in on what she's been up to since her last visit. I hope you enjoy everything she has to say as we catch up with Alyssa Barker!


Since graduating from Berklee College of Music, how have you settled on the direction(s) of your music career?

It has not been an easy ride, and actually coming out of graduation time, I felt a little lost in my identity of where I was supposed to fit in with the industry. After being a student for so long, it was time to put all of my networking and other skills to the test. So since graduating, I have been consistently working in the world of performing at corporate events, cocktail hours, and other events that fit in this field. Not to mention I have been playing gigs at places like the Black Rose Irish Pub in Boston, MA and the Matterhorn Bar in Stowe, VT.  I am constantly on the lookout for the next thing, but right now I am happy building my brand in this world as it keeps coming! Just feeling blessed and lucky to be hired to play this early on after leaving Berklee.


You seem to be able to keep up a full schedule of live performances. What do you enjoy about playing in front of these audiences?

What I love most about performing in front of my audiences are their reactions. Typically responses are very loving and rather enthusiastic, which is exactly why I do what I do. It absolutely melts my heart to see people loving music the way I do.


You’ve also been releasing some new music, including “Vampire”, which I love. What is your favorite part about the recording process?

Thank you so much! I absolutely love the freedom in the creative process that recording allows for. This year it is my goal to become more proficient and to be more comfortable releasing music. "Vampire", not only is it one of my favorite songs recently, but I felt such a release and high from the product I was able to create in lue of how awesome the song already is. In part of recording that song, I really feel like I am finding my voice and sound as an electric violinist, falling into the genre of heavy rock.


You currently offer custom compositions, which is something you mentioned as a goal the last time we talked. What is that process like?

For most projects that I work on, there is a lot of artistic freedom. I have been able to collaborate with artists and add my own ideas, I will usually record tracks and have the artist I work with pick takes they wish to keep or not. Of course this varies per artist, however I love this type of creative outlet.


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

I believe being a freelance musician purely takes on an entrepreneurial role. Whether prepping for the various gigs of the week, finding the next one, or emailing with people about other opportunities, the grind never stops, and truthfully it can be exhausting. Playing music has been and continues to be my dream, and so in order to continue achieving that, it's important to know that the hussle can't stop. Recently I have expanded my team to help make things a little bit easier, and in doing this, we are able to get twice the amount of work done as opposed to when I was alone.


What are your immediate music goals?

Right now, my goal is to continue to find work as I go, and to continue getting my name out there in the northeast region of the country. In the last year, I have been able to expand my work to Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, etc, and I can't wait to see where it goes from there. Long-term, I would love to hop on a tour and see where my live performance career can get to!


---

I hope she’s able to achieve those goals!

As always, I want to thank Alyssa for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Alyssa to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her on Instagram and Spotify. You should also be sure to check out her website. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing!

Thanks again Alyssa! Good luck reaching your goals.



No comments:

Post a Comment