Thursday, January 14, 2021

Alyssa Barker Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Alyssa Barker is a talented violinist, and I was so glad she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, her future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Alyssa Barker visits Section 36!

When did you realize that violin would take a huge part in your life?
I first realized violin would be a huge part of my life when I was in high school. Granted, I enjoyed playing violin years before high school, but when I had the chance to work with Mark Wood at his Rock Orchestra Camp in the summer of 2016, it was then that I became in love with what I wanted to do. At that camp, not only did I learn a lot about the versatility strings instruments have in different genres, but I also met the head of the String Department at Berklee, Doctor David Wallace. This was the point for me where I became the most passionate about my violin studies.

You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the most important thing that is doing for your career?
Being at Berklee is something that is essential for my career
as a musician. I am 
learning how to play my violin in ways I would have never expected to before starting college. Since I have been at Berklee, I have learned more Classical Music, Bluegrass, Jazz, Rock, Country, etc. Additionally, to performance, I have recently developed a passion for composing, and playing in recording orchestras. All of these things I am learning to do and that I have had the chance of being a part of at Berklee has given me tools and connections to take out with me in the real world when I graduate.

I really enjoy the informal performance videos on your YouTube channel. What do you enjoy about creating and posting those?
I initially started continually posting videos because I wanted something extra to 
do when the pandemic started back in March. Not only does it help keep me busy, but learning new songs and putting them together for the world to see makes me feel like I am performing to some degree. In such a crazy world where concert venues and halls are closed for a long time, this is one thing that helps me feel like living in a normal world still exists.

Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?
I’ve never answered a question so easily! The violinist who has inspired me the most is, Itzhak Perlman. He is one of the best musicians I have ever heard play in entire life. Itzhak has such a sweet soul, and he has such an amazing story with having had Polio at a young age and gaining the strength to play violin. Not only has he overcome those obstacles, but battling with his disability his entire life, he gives back to the community and has such a passion for teaching children
music. Other musicians I look up to are of course my teachers at Berklee. I wouldn’t be who I am today without their instruction.

What do you miss most about playing in front of a live audience?
I miss absolutely everything about it, and to be quite honest, I
don’t think I have 
very many words to express how much I miss it. On one of my nightly walks in Boston, I walked past the Symphony Hall and broke down in tears because I have so many amazing memories. Not being able to go into a music venue of any kind to hear or play music for a year kills me. Seeing the crowd, being with other musicians, and even the stress of getting ready for shows that I’ve dreaded so much in the past are ironically all things that I crave so much these days. I’m just dying to get back into this scene and do what I love and know how to do best – playing music from my heart, and to make a difference in another person’s life.

What are your immediate career goals?
When I graduate from Berklee, I am hoping to study to get my Masters in 
Composition, and eventually maybe my Doctorate. I will continue to work on my social media content to gain exposure to the outside world. However, ultimately, I hope to play music in many different groups of different genres, involve myself in playing on film scores, and would love to get commissioned to compose music for people. Later down the line, I see myself potentially having a violin studio to teach students everything I have learned throughout my years.

---

I hope she’s able to achieve those goals!

As always, I want to thank Alyssa for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Alyssa to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram and Facebook. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing!

You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links and pictures. It's a great way to enjoy everything Alyssa has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Alyssa, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment