Wednesday, August 2, 2023

MEL. Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! MEL.
 is an incredible singer, whose recent EP, "Consequences of Love" should be listened to again and again. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when MEL. visits Section 36 Music!

I’m a big fan of your EP, “Consequences of Love”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you for the kind words about “Consequences of Love”. This project is what I call my “baby project” - it was my very first EP, and it was my first experience releasing my work as a singer-songwriter and arranger. And I call it my “baby project” because when I still listen to it today, I can hear my teenage voice trying to share my truth and my story in my own words. You know, as teenagers, we go through a bunch of different emotions - first heartbreaks, first fights, and first realizations. So I guess this EP is about all these conflicted feelings. For example, “17” is about dreaming about becoming a musician and sharing art with listeners, “consequences of love” is about being in love with someone you can’t have and all these life episodes we all go through during our teenage years. By creating this project, I simply wanted to share my truth with my audience, and remind them that they are not alone going through similar situations. And despite the fact that most songs were written when I was a baby songwriter (I was 15), with broken words at times, these songs are a sincere testimonial of my story as a teenage girl. 


What is your favorite part about performing in front of a live audience?

It is a really good question! I think musicians have similar and different answers to this question. For me, it is about feeling the music, and seeing the audience reactions when performing. I chose to become a musician because music is the most beautiful language we all share, and seeing happiness, joy, sometimes passion and at the same time sadness on so many faces shows me that music, my music, touches people. Sometimes this world is a very lonely world, but music always brings people together. And performing live makes me feel like I am bringing some smiles on faces, some warmth for a short moment in peoples’ lives. And this feeling is everything. 


You are a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee has done for your career?

Berklee is a wonderful institution that showed me that all dreams come true if you put your mind and heart into it. There are so many students coming from all over the world to become professional musicians, and this industry is challenging for all of us. But Berklee gave me the tools and opportunities and I proved to myself that I was capable of big things as a musician and individual. No dream is ever too big as long as you put hard work into it. But the best thing Berklee gave me was to meet my mentors, my friends and peers, and a great access to the American music industry. And yes, my time at Berklee as a student is over, but as an alumni, I will always be part of this amazing community. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

This question is always the one I know I will have trouble answering simply because there are so many musicians I admire. As a pop/classical artist, voices that always inspired my work are Ella Fitzgerald, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, and Ariana Grande. These amazing vocalists are to me the best in their field, and always inspire me to discover even more about vocal technique and experiment with vocal textures. Sara Bareilles, Birdy and Billie Eilish inspire my songwriting, especially Sara Bareilles with her pop songwriting, and her musical theatre career. As a composer, producer and arranger, composers like John Williams, Alexandre Desplat and songwriter-composer Alan Menken are maestros I am incredibly amazed by. Their art makes me dream, and was part of the soundtrack of my childhood and teenage years. Finally, I am a huge admirer of Khatia Buniatishvilli, and her musicianship inspires my piano playing when I arrange and write my songs. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I guess right now I am going through my first big career challenge. I just finished my undergraduate degree, I am starting my OPT as a self-employed singer-songwriter, composer, and I am simply trying to figure out my next move. As an international student, it is more challenging to navigate post-graduate life in a country you weren’t born into. But I am working on new projects, and I am excited to give my career a thousand percent. You just have to believe in yourself, even when life seems uncertain most of the time. Being a musician is not a stable path, but it is magical and humanly rewarding. 


What are your immediate career goals?

I want to finally start releasing new music, gigging in Boston and New York, flying to Los Angeles to meet new people and work with wonderful musicians. I am also interning at AME Studios in Boston, shadowing composer Jerome Leroy, teaching, and learning even more about the industry. I am thinking about going to grad school but also building a sustainable career - it takes time but with hard work I am sure it will turn out to be the most amazing experience of my life. 


--


I'm definitely excited to see where her path takes her!


As always, I want to thank MEL. for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to listen to MEL. and follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, check out her whole linktree


Thanks again MEL., and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment