Monday, May 20, 2024

Jules Wade Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor!
 Jules Wade is a fantastic singer whose recent EP "Smokescreen" is one you definitely need to hear.
 I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Jules Wade visits Section 36 Music!

I absolutely adore your recent EP “Smokescreen”. What can you tell me about it?
Well I’ll start by saying that a smokescreen can be defined as using complex language to distract from your true point and confuse whoever you’re talking to. I’d say that this whole EP is basically me making things so complicated and metaphorical that you’re not really sure what people/moments I’m talking about. My family and friends will listen to the tracks and ask me “Is this about ____? Does this have something to do with ____ happening?”, and I just laugh to myself. I think that this EP perfectly embodies what I want my music to mean to people. I never want to give too much detail, because I always want listeners to be able to apply it to their own lives. 

If I were to actually give context, this EP discusses three past relationships, and each song references different times in my life. It’s kind of like a patchwork piece made up of the highest and lowest points that I experienced with those partners. All of the tracks were written in 2023, and I think that reflecting on so much of what I’ve experienced in the past four years helped me get to know myself better. “smokescreen” is me saying “Hi, this is who I am as an artist, but most importantly, this is who I am as a romantic and as a person.”.

What was your favorite part of the recording process?
I’ve worked with the same producer for my last two EPs, and I think there’s something so special about finding someone who understands exactly what you mean when you’re brainstorming. I love the moments after the lead vocals and the bones of the instrumentals have been recorded, and all that’s left to do is fill in the gaps and make everything exactly how you want it. With “smokescreen” we sat in the studio for over a week adding new vocal layers and sounds to enhance every track. One of the tracks that we just kept building on was “under my skin”- I would’ve stayed in that sound booth forever adding more vocal layers if I had the time. Eventually I had to sit down and ask myself if I was trying to reach some impossible perfection, and the truth is- I was. I guess that’s the difficulty with the recording process though, you always want to make everything perfect.

You are currently studying at Berklee College of Music. What made Berklee the right choice for you?
Honestly, I think I ask that question everyday. I’m not sure what it was about Berklee that felt so right for me. Initially, I was committed to study criminology and eventually law, but my heart was never in it. I’ve been a songwriter since the age of four (check my father’s camcorder videos for proof), and I think I’ve always known that music is my calling. My problem has always been figuring out how to get to where I want to go. 

I had an internship at a recording studio, where I met my mentor, who then introduced me to my producer, and it seemed like the signs for me to pursue music were too great to ignore. I withdrew from my initial college decision, and applied to Berklee two days before the final deadline (March 2023). I auditioned the day of my prom, dealt with several power outages during my audition, and when I found out in June that I had been accepted for the fall, I felt like there was some greater power saying I had to go. 

Going to a performing arts school can be a constant test of your character and strength as an artist, but everyday I wake up grateful for everyone that I’ve met who reminds me why I’m here. 

Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?
I could go on and on about this one. There are so many artists that inspire me, but my ultimate idol is Stevie Nicks. Her solo music and her work with Fleetwood Mac has such depth, and I have admired her lyrics since I was a child. I also feel so deeply connected to her style of performance, and the iconic May 1997 performance of Silver Springs is forever ingrained in my mind.

Another inspiration for me has been Miley Cyrus. Growing up with her and watching how she has found her identity through music has been so informative for me as an aspiring singer-songwriter. Her “Plastic Hearts” era is especially meaningful to me. As both a lover of rock and of hard-hitting lyrics, the album appeals to me in all ways. I love her voice, her stage presence, her strength, and her commitment to making the best work possible.

There are so many inspiring women in the field that have led me to wear I am. Joan Jett, Florence Welch, Chappell Roan, Maggie Rogers, and Debbie Harry are a few more that have heavily inspired me.

What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?
I would say that I struggle a lot with confidence. In an industry that is so reliant on external validation, it can be hard to feel that what I bring to the table is enough and will be enough in the future. I think we have really normalized this idea that women in the industry inevitably change themselves multiple times throughout their careers to maintain success, so it’s challenging to decipher what can be a consistent public identity (in my case, I don’t really have a public identity yet, but it is something that every artist has to think about). I’m definitely in the early, early, EARLY stages of a career, so as of now I don’t have too many struggles to worry about. 

What are your immediate music goals?
Right now I’m focusing on gaining a broader following and finding the people that really gravitate towards my sound. I also hope to be doing more shows and would love the opportunity to open for some of the indie artists I look up to. I’m really open to however things are going to move forward for me, and I’m excited for the journey of it all. 

---


Those sound like great goals!  


As always, I want to thank Jules for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going on. I would follow her on Instagram and Spotify to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Jules, and good luck reaching your goals!





No comments:

Post a Comment