Friday, November 3, 2023

The Night Calls by Anna May

 


"The Night Calls" - Single by Anna May

Release Date: October 31, 2023

What You Should Know: "I never intended to record this. It was a spontaneous one take that I grew to love. I wrote the song in February 2019 during a snowstorm, feeling a little stuck and feeling a little primitive and distant from myself. I explored the painful and convoluted processes of confronting and deceiving and distracting myself - the clarity and cloudiness, the oaths and promises to ourselves, which all come in the course of healing. I explored how I used the night as a shadowy catalyst for both distracting myself and and bringing out deeper parts of myself : both the veils of illusion and crystal truths that are born of the night and the near constant process of submerging and resurfacing that takes place each day.

I had been reflecting on the past, on future possibilities, and on my volatile relationship with the nighttime and darkness. We all have one. Night is a significant span of every one of our days, and each of us uses it in different ways.

Some of us tune it out, and others embrace our proximity to darkness. I'm reminded of the ways in which I let old ghosts come to visit me and I am reminded that most of life is more cryptic than it is clear.

This song has evolved over time in all of the best ways.
I am happy that i waited this long to record and release it so that it could become what it is now, fully realized.

Like humans, songs need space and time for growing into themselves. This one is filled with tension, hope, frustration and idealism, and it still takes me down new pathways when i hear it. It is a song for transitional times, as we slip into something new, remember all that was and consider all that calls us in various directions throughout our lifetimes; how we end up where we do.

We learn many lessons from our mistakes. I hope that you enjoy it. i never realized, but it is a perfect Halloween song, designed to explore the depths of existing. Perfect for immersing in the complexity and shifting identities of this season. Halloween is sacred and intentioned revelry related to death and reminds us that death and darkness are inextricable aspects of being."


Find It: On Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment