Thursday, November 30, 2023

Lucia Dostal Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! Lucia Dostal
 is a fantastic singer, whose upcoming album definitely needs to be on your radar. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Lucia Dostal visits Section 36 Music!

I am incredibly excited for your upcoming self titled album. What can you tell me about it?

LUCIA DOSTAL the album is a collection of memories and raw emotions from the past 3 years of my life. It weaves through heartbreak, love, loss, jealousy and so much more. The oldest song on the album, Lost, was written in 2020 when I was a senior in highschool. I began the album release plan on December 16th with the release of Groove Pants, then Stuck in Time (May 6th), Lost (July 28) and the full album on December 8th. 


I wasn't aware of this during the writing process, but all of these songs are in vastly different genres. Groove Pants is funk, Stuck in Time is bossa nova, Lost is pop, and the album itself also encapsulates rock, pop punk and jazz. 


What is your favorite part of the recording process?

The recording process for this album was so much fun. My band and I took 5 days and recorded all of the instrumentals at Howie's Loft on Prince Edward Island, Canada. As for the vocals, I think I collectively recorded them in 8 different places around the world: Howies Loft (Recording Studio), The closet in an Airbnb (in Seattle Washington), my dorm room (in Berklee Boston), A recording studio (in Berklee Boston), my mom's backyard recording studio (in western mass), The Charlottetown public library isolation room (on Prince Edward Island), A practice room (in Berklee Valencia) and a recording studio (in Berklee Valencia). My favorite part of this process was learning how to record vocals wherever I was whenever I wanted to.


You are studying at Berklee College of Music in Valencia Spain. What is that experience like?

Being in Spain has been a dream and nothing less! Growing up, my mom worked as a Spanish teacher so I had some Spanish in my back pocket when I arrived here. I feel so lucky to be able to study music and be in Spain and Europe. I have been doing a lot of traveling and exploring and I am trying to make the most out of every weekend before the semester ends! :-)


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

This is a tough question because as someone who writes in a lot of genres I take inspiration from many musicians. If I could pick a few people I would say Eloise for her fusion of pop and jazz, Stevie Wonder because he put the soul into my music, Chet Baker because I am obsessed with his energy and Sarah Barellies because when I first started writing songs in middle school I knew her discography like the back of my hand. 


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

I think the biggest challenge for me is honestly having a good balance in my music career. When you turn the thing you love into your career it's often hard to draw a line on how much you should be working. Sometimes it's really hard to put equal time into my career, my school, my friends and myself. But I am learning how to find that balance!


What are your immediate music goals?

My immediate music goal is to effectively promote and share this album with you guys! As someone who is minoring in music business I have been digging a lot more into how marketing works and how I can get this music out to people who will love it as much as I do. :)


---


I am so excited for that album!  


As always, I want to thank Lucia for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow Lucia and be ready for that new music. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Lucia, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment