Monday, November 27, 2023

Sydney Mira Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! Sydney Mira
 is an incredible singer, fresh off her recent single, "Bite", which you definitely need to check out. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Sydney Mira visits Section 36 Music!

I absolutely love your recent single “Bite”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you so much. I’m so happy to hear that you connected with my song.

 

“Bite” touches on two concepts – power and deception.  I've always been drawn to the Femme Fatale character and the alluring control that she wields.  All too often, men are portrayed as holding the cards in relationships.  I wanted to write a song that completely flips the script, acknowledging powerful women while also adding in some edginess – I love the combination of sexy and dark imagery.

 

I also wanted to incorporate the notion of looks being deceiving and how instant assumptions and judgments can be false.  I’ve grown up with a constant undertone of people assuming, since I'm petite, that I’m “sweet,” “innocent,” and/or “frail.”  Those assumptions are completely inaccurate.  I love the quote from Shakespeare, “Though she be but little she is fierce.”  I strive to be a kind and compassionate person, but I’m also very confident and have an edgy side.  I firmly believe that these traits shouldn’t be considered mutually exclusive.  Women often have to straddle a line between being unassuming and owning their power, and I think this song plays into that dichotomy.


In "Bite," I wanted to embody my inner Femme Fatale, and I had so much fun writing it!


What is your favorite part of the recording process?

My absolute favorite part of the process is writing the melody and lyrics.  While I self-produce the majority of my songs, I consider myself a topliner (meaning I specialize in melody and lyrics) first and foremost.  Melody and lyrics are my wheelhouse and where I derive the most joy within the creative process.  I usually start my songs with a clear lyrical or emotional concept and branch off from there.  I love playing with song structure, rhyme scheme, and incorporating pop culture and literary references into my lyrics.  I’m an avid reader, and I find a lot of inspiration for my lyrics from reading, whether classic literature or fairytales.  Suffice it to say, I’m a lyrics girl through and through – I LOVE words!


You are a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee did for your career?

Berklee was influential in making me into the musician I am today.  I went through some of the very best and worst times of my life while in college, and by channeling those experiences into my music, I became a better songwriter and artist.  I made friends with an incredible community of other musicians who are also making their way into the industry.  The students and faculty that supported me and believed in me at Berklee are now cherished friends, and I’m grateful for their support!  Above all, I learned how to handle and accept rejection.  Berklee was great to me (I was fortunate enough to attend on scholarship) and created wonderful opportunities for me, but it’s a music school, it’s intense.  There are so many talented musicians there, and it’s incredibly competitive.  There were constant auditions and competitions.  And, while I received some acceptances, there were also countless rejections.  But, I’m ultimately grateful for those rejections because it made me stronger and more committed to my craft and made me learn how to fight for what I want to achieve.  I think that is part of the process of studying at a music school – learning how to accept rejections until you get the “Yes” – how much do you want this dream?  Do you give up, or keep at it until you succeed?  I never allowed any “no” to stop me from continuing on my path and never will.  Plus, it makes the moments that I am acknowledged for my art all the sweeter!


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I grew up listening to a diverse range of musicians from Ella Fitzgerald, Edith Piaf, The Beatles, Elton John, Radiohead, Bjork, Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson to Christina Aguilera.  My biggest inspirations though are Taylor Swift, Julia Wolf, Sabrina Carpenter, Melanie Martinez, JP Saxe, Ed Sheeran, and Ellie Goulding.  I’m particularly drawn to artists who aren’t afraid to highlight the darker parts of the psyche along with the nuances and emotional complexities that come with being human.  Whether it’s through dark musical tonalities or intricate lyrics, I’m consistently inspired by the artists who confront difficult topics and who continue to blaze trails for future artists.


As mentioned earlier, I also love lyrics and am constantly inspired by the power of storytelling.  When I was growing up, I would write short stories and poems to express myself before I knew songwriting was even an option for me.  To this day, I make a point of prioritizing lyrics in all of my songs.  The lyrics and overall emotional concept of the song needs to be clear to the listener; otherwise, I’ve failed in my job as a songwriter.


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

As an indie artist just starting out, my biggest challenge is mainly getting my music out to the right audience.  Social media (especially TikTok) has made the music industry so much more accessible, but it has also severely over-saturated the market and has made it difficult to be heard above the noise.  Like Taylor Swift, I’m hoping to build a community of listeners who feel seen and represented by my music, and I’m excited to see that my music is already beginning to affect people in a positive way.  I hope my songs continue to resonant with listeners, and they feel their emotions are validated. 

 

What are your immediate music goals?

My immediate music goals are to hone my craft, establish a strong community of listeners, and continue to build on the momentum I’ve started since releasing my debut single “BAD,” and now “Bite.”  I’m also hoping to continue working and co-writing with other writers and producers, expanding my network of creatives, and cultivating new meaningful collaborations.  I’m currently finishing up some new songs with plans to release more music starting in the new year – I’m so excited to share these songs!


---


Those are wonderful goals. I'm definitely excited about new music on the way!  


As always, I want to thank Sydney for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to listen to Sydney and be ready for her upcoming music. I would  follow her on Instagram, and Spotify. You should also bookmark her webiste to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


Thanks again Sydney, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment