Monday, November 6, 2023

Mehlani Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! Mehlani
 is an incredible singer, whose recent single, "Anyone Else" is simply a masterpiece. I was so thrilled that she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Mehlani visits Section 36 Music!

I absolutely love your recent single, “Anyone Else”. What can you tell me about it?

I wrote "Anyone Else" last summer at Berklee College of Music's 2021 one-week songwriting program. A few months prior I had gotten out of an extremely toxic and mentally abusive relationship and despite my several attempts to write about how I was feeling, I was faced with some of the most intense writer's block I had ever experienced. The truth of the matter is that I was appalled by how deceived I was by the guy I was with. Though to friends and family it was not necessarily a secret that things were messy from the start, I was so blinded by the good times, the flowers, and other romantic notions that I canceled all the bad out. Throughout my writing process it was extremely difficult to find the words- how was I supposed to explain how drastic the pain was? I've had my handful of boyfriends and situationships, but this experience was so impactful for me that I did not want it to come off as just any breakup song. I remember feeling so defeated. 


The story behind the song can be best depicted through my music video where I go about my daily routine, associating anything and everything with him. All I could think about was the good times. Everything that happened in the video was almost-exactly what it looked like post-breakup. There was a point towards the end of our relationship that he would bring flowers to my door-step almost everyday. He would buy me books and leave a little note on the front page dedicating it to me. Throughout the rest of the video the flashbacks showed how over-time the fighting became more prominent. The end of the music video shows a very real experience I had where one night I cracked and destroyed everything he had given me. I broke down and in the end I was left sitting, sulking in my feelings and the pain.


The best explanation I was able to come up with was, "if it were anyone else," which is now the hook of the song. If it were anyone else, I probably would not have put up with him for as long as I did. If it was anyone else, I would not have made so many excuses for him. The idea that I was trying to get across was that even though he put me through some truly inhumane and horrific experiences, I still hated myself for loving him after the fact. If it were anyone else, I would not have still loved him. The conclusion for "Anyone Else" was that I had not yet gotten my closure- which is hardly a conclusion at all, and that is intentional. 


Do you see more studio work in the future?

I do! All three of the songs I currently have out were all recorded remotely, with my vocal takes recorded in my bedroom back in Maryland. However, this past August I made a trip to Atlanta, Georgia to meet my producer, Ryan Hall for the first time, where we recorded some of my originals together. My next trip will be in January 2024, and we will be working on my EP that will be coming out before the end of next year!


You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing you see Berklee doing for your career?

This is my first semester here at Berklee, and already my experience has been phenomenal. It is so amazing connecting with so many young artists like myself and being able to bond through music. I already see a ton of doors opening, and it is such an honor to be a part of a school with such a large amount of crazy, talented individuals. Though I am still getting used to the environment, I can tell that a lot of the people I have met so far will be people that I work with post-college. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

Some of my biggest musical inspirations are Lizzy McCalpine, Laura Elliot, Yebba, Justice Carradine, and Julia Michaels. I love how intentional they are with their lyric choices and their incredible story-telling ability. It would be a dream to work with any one of them in the future. A lot of my roots also lie in Contemporary Christian and Gospel music, so I am looking forward to releasing worship pieces in the near future as well.


What would you say is your biggest challenge with your music career?

My biggest challenge so far with my music career has been finding the right people to surround myself with. I have already gotten a taste of the industry during my time here at Berklee, and it can often be really overwhelming. I think my main concern right now is being able to find people who I can build relationships with outside of music, and who will support me in putting God first in all that I do.


What are your immediate music goals?

Some of my immediate music goals would be to find more spaces and opportunities where I can perform my original music and truly get my name out there. I have so many stories to tell and I am excited to share them with people who have yet to hear what I have to say. In the future I would love to tour as an independent singer-songwriter, while simultaneously writing for others on the side. 



---


Those sound like great goals. Excited to see where she takes them!


As always, I want to thank Mehlani for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to listen to Mehlani and follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and on Spotify


Thanks again Mehlani, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment