Monday, September 26, 2022

Lindsey Sampson Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor!  
Lindsey Sampson is an incredible singer who will soon be releasing her single, "Night Driving". I was so excited she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Lindsey Sampson visits Section 36 Music!

I am incredibly excited for your upcoming single “Night Driving”. What can you tell me about it?

I’m incredibly excited too! Night Driving is the first single off of my upcoming album Juniper. It’s a song to bless the road ahead when you’re on a journey of uncertainty, and it’s a little pop-y and a little folk-y.


This song is more pop infused than your previous works. How has that transition worked for you? 

Definitely - for anyone who has listened to any of my other music, Night Driving will feel like the furthest stretch. I think the pandemic forced musicians largely into this world of creating music without the live performance as a test bed. In some ways, that makes releasing new music completely terrifying (you don’t have live audiences to help you workshop and edit) - in other ways, it has allowed me to think outside of my guitar/ukulele. For Night Driving, the lyrics and harmony have stayed the same throughout the production process, but the instrumentation was born from bumping around inspiration and ideas with Daniel Radin virtually during the pandemic. Because I was working with Daniel on this song from the very beginning, we had a much wider field to run around in. We didn’t have the live performance as an anchor, so we had a lot more space to experiment with sound. This sound was born from that spirit of playfulness and exploration, which feels fitting to the story being told.


What was your favorite part of the recording process? 

The vocals for Night Driving (and for most of the songs on the album) were recorded during the last few days I lived in my beloved apartment in Boston. Daniel and I have recorded vocals this way from the beginning - recording vocals at home gives me access to the same quiet, introspective space where the song was born. The process of recording vocals for this song was cozy and intimate, and I can still feel that in the final recording. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I don’t think this is unique among musicians, but my music comes from the center of a very strange Venn diagram. For me, there’s just something about trio girl bands - JOSEPH, HAIM, the Staves. I grew up with country music, so there’s also dash of that. And over the past few years I’ve found myself drawn to a slightly more modern pop palette like Maggie Rogers and Sylvan Esso. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

This is a great question. At a very tactical level, I just moved cities, which comes with a whole host of wonderful freedoms and unique challenges. My roots in Boston ran deep - I was woven into this thick mesh of musical community, and I’m just in the early stages of developing that here in Nashville. So I think the challenge is finding my spaces and finding my people in a new town.


What are your immediate career goals?

Right now I have a bit of tunnel vision, focusing on making an album that feels honest and necessary and cohesive. I’m lucky to be working with an extraordinary team to make all of that happen. After that, I’m hoping to integrate more into the songwriting world in Nashville, but we’re moving one step at a time over here.


---


I can't wait to hear the whole album!


As always, I want to thank Lindsey for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, Facebook, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do all three right now!

Thanks again Lindsey, and good luck reaching your goals!




No comments:

Post a Comment