Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Geena Gangi Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor!  Geena Gangi is a fantastic singer fresh off the release of her single "The Nice Guy". I was thrilled she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Geena Gangi visits Section 36 Music!

I couldn’t get enough of your recent single “The Nice Guy”. What can you tell me about it? 

Thank you! I wrote the song after hearing enough horror stories from friends’ past relationships and my own experience to come up with the general character. I like doing that in my music–writing from the perspective of a stylized, fictional character. It’s something I think I got from my screenwriting degree and helps me really paint a universe that a lot of people can connect to. Essentially, The Nice Guy is about a dude who seemed all that until we found out he really wasn’t. 


Is there more studio work in your future? 

Always. Yesterday, in fact. 


You graduated Emerson with a focus in writing for film and TV. What drew you to that area of songwriting? 

My first love is writing. I adore the concept of taking something that is only real in your head and materializing it into our physical world through art. My other passions find themselves in the space of film, TV and music. I went to Emerson to study screenwriting because I had no idea how to work a story into a screenplay format; I could also take courses at Berklee College of Music in Music Business and Songwriting through this thing called the ProArts Consortium, so it worked out for me well in that way. I’m also in love with acting and moved to LA partially to pursue that more. I like to stay busy in a lot of different directions haha. I suppose when it comes down to it, the story always comes first for me. The performance aspect comes after, whether it’s writing a script or performing my own song at a show. That’s the materialization part that feels so magical to me. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences? 

I am a Swiftie through-and-through, so I’ll always say her first. She influences my melodic and lyrical writing a lot. Thanks to my mom, I grew up with the most eclectic range of music ever, so my influences vary A LOT. Some days I listen to just Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind and Fire funk tunes, other times I’m on a singer-songwriter James Taylor, Carole King thing…the other day I only listened to the scores of classic Disney films like Peter Pan and Beauty and the Beast. I also grew up listening to and performing Greek music with my family, so that’s influenced my own stuff sonically in terms of having a pulse to my songs that you can move to. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

Well, I graduated school during the height of COVID, so that was definitely an obstacle. I thought I was setting myself up so well to graduate early and finish at Emerson’s LA campus…but it ended up taking place in my childhood bedroom on a screen. I have since moved on my own from Middleton, MA to Los Angeles, but I suppose I’m still working around that challenge, as everyone else is. Art has changed so, so drastically in this digitized, tik-tok-ified space, so I’m just finding my place within it right now. Typical coming-of-age stuff, haha. 


What are your immediate career goals? 

I am currently writing my own music and have found a great little team to help me produce and create visuals for it, so I’ll definitely still be doing that until circumstances change where I’ll need some more help. I’d love to work more in the film and TV space too and have been going to acting auditions recently, so make a wish for me if you don’t mind haha. I’m working on a few original scripts, 2 TV pilots and a film musical, that I’m also really excited about. In general, I’m sincerely happy to be doing the young-artist-who-is-trying-to-break-in-thing. We’ll see where we end up, huh?


—-


I am sure she'll end up someplace pretty great!


As always, I want to thank Geena  for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!

Thanks again Geena, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment