Friday, March 24, 2023

Mori Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Mori is a talented singer whose latest single "georgia" is something you just have to hear for yourself. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Mori visits Section 36 Music!

I was simply blown away by your recent single, “georgia”. What can you tell me about it?

I started writing “georgia” over a year ago on an emotional flight out of Atlanta, and finished writing it when I adapted it for a class assignment last Spring. Initially, I had a hard time envisioning a fleshed-out arrangement that wouldn’t stray too far from the original version with piano and vocals only. My primary producer, Kristina Fisk, was the first person who wanted to get strings on this song. I was interested in the idea, but wasn’t sure how to approach it; however, I trust Kristina with my life so we went forward. We enlisted Cam Arthur Pepe, a good friend of mine, to write the string arrangement for the song, and now I could not imagine the song without it. The strings brought everything that was missing, and were instrumental in achieving the emotion and message we were trying to convey. “georgia” was a BEAST to record and produce, and definitely the most challenging out of the songs from my upcoming EP, so I couldn’t be happier that it’s finished, let alone that it sounds as good as it does, and I have my wonderful team to thank for it.


“georgia” is your third single in the last year. Is there more studio work in your plans?

Yes, there is! I’m currently working on finishing my debut EP, which will contain five songs total; featuring “georgia”, and four entirely new songs. I have yet to announce an official release date, but we’re currently on track to release the full EP by end of June. A lot of effort has gone into the project so far and I feel really lucky to be able to work with the collaborators that I do. The EP shows a different side of me sonically, and a lot more range lyrically, so I’m excited for everyone to hear it.


You’re attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee is doing for your career?

The people! With all due respect to the exceptional curriculum and my lovely and thoughtful professors, the biggest thing I will take away from this school is the people that I have met. There’s a big emphasis on networking in the music industry, and at Berklee too, but connections with my peers are much more substantial than the people they can help me meet; the amount of talent I am surrounded by on a daily basis is insane. I feel like I have so much to learn from my peers, even the ones who aren’t in my major or course of study. Everybody does things differently, even though what brings us together is the same. I’ve really been challenged to break down walls of prejudice and the general competitive nature of performing arts, because honestly everybody here has something to teach me.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

Every time I get this question, I’m unsure how to answer. I’d say I have a big list of artists I admire, who I’ll never sound anything like, and then an entirely separate list of artists who really influence my sound. In terms of artists I admire, Frank Ocean, Teyana Taylor, H.E.R, Ariana Grande, Jazmine Sullivan, and Taylor Swift all top that list, but my music is not in the same realm nor is it trying to be. The most influential on my actual sound would probably be Searows (Alec Duckart), Lizzy McAlpine, Isabel Pless, Olivia Rodrigo, Eloise, and Olivia Dean. I love them all, and I listen to them constantly. I also have major respect for musical theatre, as that's where I started performing and building my voice, so I think it'll always be a part of me and influence my tone and phrasing.


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

My biggest career challenge is and always will be confidence. Whether that presents itself in my writing, performance, or collaboration, I have a really hard time believing in myself and deal heavily with imposter syndrome. It’s difficult to feel like I’m saying anything of importance when there’s so many artists who are just as talented and doing something really similar. However, I’ve been really lucky to not only find a team who believes in what I’m doing, but also wonderful friends who uplift and encourage me while making me better. I’ve been learning how to study the people who possess what I seem to lack, instead of letting that lack affect the way I view myself. Becoming a student to those I admire in that way has been really key, and is something I continue to work on.


What are your immediate career goals?

As I finish my third year at Berklee this semester, I’m definitely feeling the pressure to find a role that will make me money. Luckily, I can continue writing and releasing music for as long as I want to, and I plan to continue for as long as it makes me happy. Outside of writing and working on my own music though, I’m currently really interested in social media marketing for musicians! I’ve always been a social media nut, and spend most of my time on there anyway. Also, the effect that social media has on the music industry right now literally fascinates me, and I find myself wanting to know everything about how the algorithm works on each platform. Being able to market yourself and your music as a brand is really important, but I think it can be a little drab or forced, so my goal is to make that process feel fun and authentic. As both a consumer and creator of music, I think I have an interesting perspective on it all, and I’m excited to hopefully find a place within that facet of the music industry soon.


---


That sounds like a great avenue to explore!


As always, I want to thank Mori for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!


Thanks again Mori, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment