Monday, August 10, 2020

Merlin Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Merlin is a fantastic singer, and I was glad

Photo by Red 13 Studios
that she agreed to visit with us and discuss her music, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Merlin visits Section 36!


I really enjoyed your single “Love”. What can you tell me about it?

"Love" is the first song I ever recorded in-studio. I wrote part of it 3 years ago when I was thinking about past relationships and the fantasy ideals that we're taught growing up. I brought it to Late Boomers Club in the studio and we just got to writing and working. It really came to life! It's essentially a cautionary tale to my younger self. I wanted it to feel moody and mystical. The whole process was cathartic and really lit a fire under me. The track is co-written and produced by LBC, they're incredible. 


Do you see more studio work in your future?

100%! Before COVID hit I was planning on meeting LBC in LA to record a couple of new singles. While the trip has been postponed for now, I'm writing a lot and we're starting to work via Zoom to get some of the tracks started.


The music video for “Love” is also amazing. What was it like to put that together?

Photo by Red 13 Studios
That was a blast! We got the idea of filming on the beach when we started recording in the studio. The red dress is a grown up version of a dress I'm wearing as a kid on the single cover. The white version is supposed to be this better version of me who knows that self love is the first and most important love. It was so much fun to shoot, I know I look all serious in the shots but we were laughing most of the time behind the scenes! By the end of the shots I was drenched and covered in sand. That dress is  A LOT heavier after getting soaked! 


Who or what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?

I grew up watching/listening to Top 100 channels and whatever CDs my parents were able to take with them when we emigrated from Albania. I went through many phases and genres of music, like country and screamo. I was even obsessed with a band called Tokio Hotel for a good 2 years! Now I mostly listen to Pop, Hip Hop and House music along with Albanian Pop music. My all time favorite artists are Beyonce, Hayley Williams, and Dua Lipa. I gravitate towards artists, especially women, who exude authenticity and freedom through their music and energy then go into the real world and use their influence to make positive change. 


Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?

My biggest career challenge would be being realistic about what I can accomplish

Photo by Red 13 Studios
alone and when I need to ask for help. I always want to do more and push, and do as much as I can by myself. But the truth is no one ever did anything truly great, all alone. It's why it took me a while to find a studio I wanted to work with and essentially be vulnerable with. But I'm glad I did, working in the studio with LBC and the Red 13 team has sparked even more creativity inside me. I'm accomplishing things I could have only dreamed of years ago.


What are your immediate career goals?

I have a couple of singles I'd like to release soon. One of them will have a music video! I'm stoked about these tracks, they're more dancy but empowering. I always feel super confident after blasting them! Aside from that, I'm hoping to get to LA as soon as it's safe to do so to record an EP to be released in 2021. Beyond that, the sky's the limit! 


—-


I’m so excited to be able to hear all the new music!


As always, I want to thank Merlin for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I know you’ll all want to follow along with Merlin to see what she's up to. The best way is to check out all her social media accounts, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or TikTok. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing. You should also be sure to check out her single “Love” and be sure to watch the music video. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Merlin has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Merlin, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment