Monday, August 3, 2020

Kilough Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Kilough is a wonderful

singer, and I was thrilled that she agreed to visit with us and discuss her music, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.


So, let's see what happens when Kilough visits Section 36!

I absolutely loved your debut EP “Latitude”. What was it like to put that together? 
Putting together Latitude was such an incredible experience from beginning to end. It’s my first release, so it was amazing to see my songs come to life for the first time in the studio as we built each track up with harmonies and new layers. I was extremely lucky to be 
able to record the album with some of the best musicians I know; everyone – bandmates and engineers alike - brought a unique style that made the whole recording process enjoyable and a lot of fun. 


Do you have a favorite song from the EP? 

“Hideaway” is probably my favorite song from the EP. It has such a different feel from the others, with a much more laid-back, acoustic vibe that I love. The simplicity of the drums, the solid bass line, and the warm fingerpicking really make it stand out from the other tracks. It’s one of my favorites to play live! 


You are a student at Berklee College of Music. What’s the most important thing that experience is doing for your career? 
Attending Berklee has been incredibly rewarding. Each experience has helped me grow as a musician and a person - from taking courses on different parts of the music industry, to working on developing new songwriting techniques, and everything in between. The best part, though, has been collaborating with other students; they’re all so inspiring, creative, and talented, and I feel really lucky to be able to work with them. 


What is your favorite part about performing in front of a live audience? 
The best part of performing in front of a live audience, I think,

is being able to meet and interact with new people through music. The beauty of playing out is that you never really know what’s going to happen, and the listeners play a big role in that. A musician can practice day and night, but the audience will always impact the show, which is amazing. It’s also a chance to branch out. Whether it’s telling the story behind a song, or revamping a classic through a cover, it’s a new and different experience every time. 


Your Instagram account has several informal videos of you singing. What do you enjoy about creating and sharing those? 
Instagram is such a great platform for creators, and what I enjoy most about it is being able to share what I’m working on and see what other people are working on. I always love hearing new music, especially from independent artists, so it’s exciting to open the app and hear some new songs. The platform has created such a community for artists, and I’m thankful to be part of it. 


Right now, what would you say is your biggest non-COVID related career challenge? 
Currently, my biggest career challenge is wearing multiple hats, although I’m incredibly thankful for the experience. As an independent musician, everything I do is a very hands- on, yet educational, process. Each aspect has allowed me to catch a glimpse into a new side of the music industry – everything from marketing to promotion and distribution. Not only have I learned a lot with each new experience, but I have a strong appreciation for the teams behind the scenes that help build and maintain an artist’s career. 


What are your immediate career goals? 
Recording and releasing new music are my immediate career goals. I’m still in the early stages of achieving these goals, but I’m excited to really dive in and get the process started. There’s nothing quite like polishing up an original and putting it out into the world! 


---


I know I, for one, can't wait to hear that new music!

As always, I want to thank Kilough for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Kilough to see what she's up to. The best way is to check out everything on her Link Tree.
 They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing. 


You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Kilough has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Kilough, and good luck in reaching your goals! 


No comments:

Post a Comment