Monday, November 28, 2022

Amie Wren Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Amie Wren is a fantastic singer whose recent single "Stay" is beyond incredible. I was so glad she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.


So, let's see what happens when Amie Wren visits Section 36 Music!

I was blown away by your recent single, “Stay”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you so much! So, ‘Stay’ is essentially about unrequited love, that kind of love that totally consumes you and destroys you when it ends. I wrote it about a year ago, and putting it together with my producer was truly an amazing experience, as it was exactly what I wanted it to be, and it perfectly encapsulated what I’d been feeling when I wrote it.


That was on the heels of your self-titled debut album. What has been your favorite part of the recording process?

I’d have to say working with the musicians featured on my album. One song I want to pick out is ‘Hanging Tree’. That was such an undertaking to put together, as I arranged the song for nine vocalists, including myself. I really enjoyed teaching them the parts, working with them as a choir, seeing how their voices worked together. I’d never recorded anything to that scale before, and it was a truly amazing experience.


You are currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing you can see Berklee doing for your career?

I can see Berklee really refining my music. Right now, when I compose either music or songs it feels very raw, and whilst something can be said for that, I really want to develop my skills, using more complex harmony or melodic ideas. I just really want to be a music nerd for the next four years, and I’m so glad that it’ll be at Berklee - the sheer talent of students and professors alike is outstanding, and it’s a privilege to be a part of that.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

That’s a great question! For singing, I’d probably say Cara Dillon, Enya, Kate Bush and Alanis Morissette. I have always loved Irish and Scottish folk music, and in ‘Amie Wren’ I featured several traditional folk songs, which were a joy to put together, as I love the music and the genre so much.


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

Honestly, imposter syndrome. I, and many musicians, struggle with the simple feeling that we’re not good enough, especially in comparison to other musicians. It’s crucial to remember that no one can be ‘better’ than you because you are unique. You are you, and they are them, and both of you are fantastic in your own way. It’s something I tell myself every time I sing or perform to alleviate the anxiety - you can only do your best, and remembering that is really important.


What are your immediate career goals?

I’m currently working on a new album! It’ll be completely made up of original songs, and will hopefully explore some new genres that I’ve been less comfortable singing in in the past. I really want to push myself, and I hope that this new project can do that!


---


I can't wait for that new album!


As always, I want to thank Amie for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!

Thanks again Amie, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment