Thursday, October 6, 2022

Aarya Ganesan Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Aarya Ganesan is a fantastic singer who recently released her single "Forever Ain't Enough". I was so glad she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.


So, let's see what happens when Aarya Ganesan visits Section 36 Music!


I loved your recent single “Forever Ain’t Enough”. What can you tell me about it?

Ah thank you so much! This one was definitely a song that got me stepping out of my comfort zone. I’m usually the type of person who always goes for an acoustic sound by default but in the last couple of years, I got completely sucked into the world of production and loved every bit of it and that’s what inspired the sound of this song. I got to co-produce it with the Ryan Kay and the BGVs were arranged by Priya Mani - two fantastic musicians who are also fellow Berklee grads! I think this phase of my life has been confusing yet exciting to navigate whether it be career, life, love - all of it and that’s been the central theme of all my music; regardless, I am a permanent emo music girl and this single is probably as “happy” as a song will get haha! 


With live shows happening again, what’s your favorite part about performing in front of an audience? 

The best part is the audience themselves. There is something so special about the idea of so many people taking a couple of hours out of their day to just watch you, support you and listen to you. Performing live is always the biggest reminder for me that there is absolutely nothing else I’d rather be doing than this. Being an artist is challenging both professionally and personally, but the moment you stand to perform in front of people who are rooting for you and want nothing but the best for you is life-changing. It has had the most positive impact on my music and life. I am so grateful for all the shows I got to do and every single person that showed up. 


You recently graduated from Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee did for your career? 

The Berklee experience is really one of a kind and I think for me, it really came down to the knowledge. You learn something every single day; the best part about Berklee was that there was not a single day that was exactly the same. The beauty of the experience was waking up everyday knowing you’re going to come back home learning something you didn’t know before. Every interaction, every collaboration and conversation is a source of so much knowledge. I have learnt so much not just from my professors, but my peers, my seniors, my juniors, visiting artists, and staff. Berklee gave me the tools to be a well-rounded musician. I was a film scoring major, but I graduated with the ability to wear different hats based on what is required on the job whether it be a film composer, editor, singer, performer, arranger. Despite being in a more writing-focused major, I was able to do numerous shows at my time there and that is something I hope to carry through my career path as well. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

Ooh this one changes probably every single day based on the music I feel like writing. I think Indian music will always hold a very special place in my heart. I grew up listening to AR Rahman and Shankar Mahadevan - their music is very much my go-to when I am looking for inspiration. Lately, I’ve gotten into Indian RnB as both a listener and songwriter so I’ve been listening to artists like Maharani, Raveena, and Pritt. They are three amazing women who’ve embraced their culture and created a new sound that is just absolutely beautiful. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I think right now since I’ve just graduated, it’s a little daunting. The career anxiety is a tad higher because when you’re just starting out, you want to do everything, and when you want to do everything it’s hard to know where to even start. Also being a producer, entering a male-dominated industry as a woman of color comes with its own set of challenges but I see it as my biggest strength because every person’s identity is what makes their sound the most unique and most impactful. From a more music-specific standpoint, having to be creative and inspired all the time is tough because every job is running on a deadline. Having to keep things fresh and new with every project can get exhausting. It is a very demanding industry but I do believe that knowing you get to do what you love everyday is enough to get past the hurdle. 


What are your immediate career goals?

Right now, I am looking to go into film as a composer. I’m keeping my options open between working in the States or India which is home for me. I am currently working with a composer in India on a film. I am also working on my own music as an independent artist and am hoping to release an EP in the next few months. I am collaborating with many artists at Berklee to bring this album to fruition! I am also hoping to continue performing and doing shows! 


---


I can't wait for that EP!


As always, I want to thank Aarya for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!

Thanks again Aarya, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment