Monday, October 26, 2020

Shelby Page Visits Section 36

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Shelby Page is a wonderful singer, and I was so glad she wanted to visit with us and discuss her recent single, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Shelby Page visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your first single “Drinking Again”. What can you tell me about it?
I wrote "Drinking Again" in a 15 minute block I had between my online classes during quarantine. The concept is pretty hidden, so, many people would assume it's about a relationship. Though they aren't far off, the male figure in the song is actually the woman's alcohol addiction put into a human-like form. In the first line, for example, she is at a bar giving into her addiction, while "he" is at a coffee shop relaxing because, essentially, his work for the day is done. I love writing in this type of style because it allows listeners to engage and think about the concepts, while also gathering new information everytime they listen to the song. As far as the recording and production process went, I rearranged and soundproofed an old shed in my backyard to use as a makeshift studio. There, I recorded all my vocals and piano sections, and then sent the final version over to Ryan Kelly, a producer from Bar Harbor, to do the mastering and final touches.     
     
You recently released the collaborative single “Stay With Me”. What was that like to put together?
"Stay With Me" was a really fun project to work on! Ryan Kelly,
as mentioned before, sent me a few different tracks he had been working on and let me choose which one I thought I could do the most with. The overall vibe and groove of "Stay With Me" really stood out to me and it seemed like something I could easily write lyrics for. After I wrote and recorded my vocals and sent them over to Ryan, he reached out to JR SPECS who added in a verse. Thankfully, a project like this is fairly easy to create without any in person contact. JR and I recorded our tracks individually and sent them to Ryan who pieced them together and brought the song to life! 
    
How would you categorize your musical style or genre?
I would say my style/genre is a combination of singer/songwriter and indie/alternative. I definitely have a more wordy writing style, which adds in the singer songwriter aspects, but my melodies, voice, and overall song production are more indie/alternative. It is the main style I listen to, so I would say that it is one of my biggest influences. 

Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?
My biggest musical influences are Mac Miller, BROCKHAMPTON, Fleetwood Mac, and Hippo Campus. These artists remind me to keep my music raw and honest while also using it to speak my mind and stand out. Even though, to me, they share a common meaning, each artist embodies their own individual style. This reminds me that similar mindsets can be used in many unique ways, and artists don't need to fit a certain mold to advocate for a related message.   

Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
I would definitely say lack of a proper studio is my biggest challenge. I do most of my writing and recording in my room, or converted shed, which allows for many distractions. I love the freedom of being able to write and record whenever I'm home, but a more concrete place where I can get into a focused mindset would be more motivating. 

What are your immediate career goals?
My immediate career goal is to release an album! I have about
20 unrecorded songs I am currently picking through to come up with a final list. I'm also hoping to get some gigs started once venues can open properly! But for now, I'll stick to my bedroom studio and keep creating!

—-


Really want to hear that album!


As always, I want to thank Shelby for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I know you’ll all want to follow along with Shelby to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram. You should also be sure to listen to her music on Spotify as often as you can. It’s the perfect way to make sure you don't miss anything.


You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Shelby has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Shelby, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment