Monday, June 29, 2020

Zoe Benson Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Zoe Benson is a fantastic singer. I was so glad that she agreed to visit with us and discuss her upcoming music, her past experiences and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Zoe Benson visits Section 3
6!



I really enjoyed your recent single, “On The Red Line”. What can you tell me about it?
Thank you! Writing this song was one of the most cathartic experiences I have had with songwriting. I had been extremely sad for several months over losing someone, and about all of the places and people I felt I had lost connection with in the process. I was rebuilding a life that was just mine, and not ours. Though I had felt this loss over the course of several months, I hadn’t cried until the moment I finished writing this song. After trying to reincorporate myself into my old life alone, only to run into all of my memories, I finally realized that what I needed was my own life. This song gave love and attention to this person I lost, and to all of the places, people, and moments that came with her. Then I could finally let them all exist without me.

That song was one of four excellent songs you released late last year. Do you see more studio work in your future?
Yes! I am excited to release three new songs in the coming months. These songs are some of my most honest, and involve the bass, violin, and production work of my roommates and closest friends. They are also some of the first releases that I have co-produced. With the music industry at a standstill during these times, my release timeline is uncertain but I am glad that we, as musicians, are taking a step back to make way for resistance and action. The industry slowing down does not mean that the creating stops! I hope to have these three releases out before the end of this year.

You recently graduated from Berklee College of Music. What’s the most important thing that experience did for your career?
I am so grateful for Berklee. By far, the most important things I learned in school, I learned from my peers. Berklee is home to some of the most talented people I have ever met, and without being constantly challenged by them, I would have no career. These are also the people who call me when they need a songwriter, a music teacher, a set played for a show they’re putting together or a client they have, etc. In a connection based industry, this was the best gift that Berklee could’ve given me.

What is your favorite part about performing in front of a live audience?
Now more than ever, I am grateful for the way a live audience responds to a performance in real time. I want to know how my music is making people feel and whether anything I’m saying resonates. It is very hard to capture the intensity and emotion of a live show in recorded music, and even harder to tell if you’re reaching anyone deeply.

Who/what would you consider your biggest musical influences?
I live in a house of five musicians and most of my other friends are musicians as well. They influence me everyday with their work. Some of my other influences are SAMIA, Phoebe Bridgers, Thomas, MUNA, LP, and The Japanese House.

Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
The challenge for me is getting my songs to the people that they will matter to. In a sea of artists releasing music, sharing and marketing effectively without a team in place is extremely hard work but it is rewarding when someone new finds my music, and connects with it.

What are your immediate career goals?
In the coming months I will release my next three singles. After that I am going to begin releasing music with a trio called Dutchess. Artists McCall, Skofee, and I have been writing together and have big plans for several single releases and music videos in the first few months of 2021. I will still be working on my solo project and releasing songs under my name during this time. I also can’t wait for the day that we will be able to have live shows again in some capacity, both as solo artists and as a group!

---

I know I can’t wait for those singles!

As always, I want to thank Zoe for visiting, and for sending along the amazing pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll want to follow along with Zoe to see what she's up to. You should definitely visit her website to catch up on everything she has to offer. I also suggest you check out her Instagram Facebook, and YouTube accounts and give them a follow. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing.

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Zoe has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Zoe, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment