Monday, June 8, 2020

Between Dreams Visits Section 36!

Photo by Edgar Troncoso
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Between Dreams is a fantastic singer, with a sound that I can’t get enough of. I was so glad that she agreed to visit with us and discuss her music, her past accomplishments and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Between Dreams visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your recent single “Wishful Thinking”. What can you tell me about it?
Thank you, that means so much to me! All my music is written about real people & experiences, its very raw & vulnerable. Sometimes you meet someone that hits you like a train & you fall hard. Sometimes the person you love, loves someone else. You know its not right & you can't be together so all you have are little moments in between & little bits of Wishful Thinking. 

I recorded this song with my incredible genius producer, Fernando Perdomo, at Reseda Ranch Studios. I actually hadn't written the oooh's & the harmonies until days before recording & they became my "hook" if you will. I was channeling Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys) & I hope people can hear/pick up on the vibe! I am also grateful for the amazing Ruti Celli who is behind the ethereal cello stylings you hear! 

The “Wishful Thinking” video was also fantastic. What was it like to put that together?
Thank you! Originally, I really wanted to film the music video in a gorgeous bamboo forest that I love (& still might in the future!). Unfortunately with COVID that wasn't possible but I wasn't going to let 'Rona stop me & decided to make a lyric video instead! I also collaborated with a fan named Summer who made an Artistic ASL video of part of the song & it is breathtakingly beautiful. Sign Language is so beautiful & I truly believe it should be more regularly integrated into our lives!

What is your favorite part about performing in front of an audience?
In my song "My Little Lady" (unreleased, keep your eyes peeled!) I sing about how its the loudest & quietest I'll ever be. Its the loudest because I am either singing my own songs or covering songs with my own voice & style. It's also the quietest because I always have 89437598745987359847 thoughts running through my head, but when I'm on stage, I am in my nirvana & 100% present in every moment. I cherish that feeling so much. I love to walk out into the crowd singing, hop up on the bar, do costume changes on stage & bring people up to sing with me. I love busting out my melodica & playing "guess that nerdy theme song", interacting with the crowd & really putting on a show!

Does one live appearance you’ve made stick out in your mind?
Absolutely! One of the first shows I ever played was at Voices in Lowell. It was a small dive bar & we were playing a show with metal bands. Now if you've heard my music you know its the furthest thing from metal, but that didn't matter, people really enjoyed it! 

After we played a woman in her 40s or 50s walked up to me & said "Thank you... thank you so much... I’ve been going through such a hard time & your music was exactly what I needed & really helped me" & honestly, I value this way more than any amount of fame or fortune. I have been that person on the other side telling an artist/band that their music helped me escape or saved my life... & to help someone like that with my music... honestly I am tearing up while I am typing this... It's the best feeling in the world. I will NEVER forget that day... 

Oh yeah, also at that show was an adorable gent from Zimbabwe who excitedly yelled "YOU ARE THE BEST THING IN AMERICA.. YOU ARE THE NEXT BEYONCE" & I don't know about all that but he definitely made me giggle.. 

I also have a fan who got lyrics of a song I wrote, in my handwriting, tattooed on him. It's a very special song about my dear friend Steve Gutowski who was killed in action in Afghanistan. Having someone tattoo my lyrics in my handwriting was super mind-blowing, especially with such a meaningful song. 

Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?
Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga, Regina Spektor are my modern
Photo by Edgar Troncoso
influences but I am very much influenced by giants in the 40s/50s like Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Billie Holiday & Patsy Cline. I'm kind of stuck in the 50s when it comes to music & style. I often rock the Liberty Roll which is representative of Pinup culture & the empowerment of curvy women!


Right now, what would you say is your biggest non-COVID career challenge?
Social Media can be a real challenge especially since the algorithms are changing constantly!

What are your immediate career goals?
Photo by Edgar Troncoso
My top 3 music goals are to 1. Sing with Lady Gaga 2. Work with Mark Ronson 3. Record my music the way I want to & with who I want to. The third dream is already coming true after I found Waldo aka Fernando Perdomo! I am so incredibly grateful to be working with such a talented & respectful producer who supports me & my music. If you haven't seen it, check him out in Echo in the Canyon, a Netflix documentary made by Jakob Dylan (The Wallflowers). He's the guitarist shredding in Jakob's Canyon band & recording & playing with some of the greatest giants in the industry!

Another goal I am working on is learning how to Mongolian Throat sing. It’s basically when you sing multiple notes at the same time. Ive had two lessons so far with Ronnie Hall (phenomenal grammy nominated vocal coach) & on my second one I sang two notes an octave apart & I was like a giddy child totally geeking out! I cant recommend Ronnie enough, he has such a bright energy, so hilarious & insanely talented! 

—-

I know I can’t wait to hear her throat sing!

As always, I want to thank Between Dreams for visiting, and for sending along the amazing pictures to accompany the interview.

Be sure to check her out on Spotify to hear everything she has out there. You won’t regret it.

I know you’ll also want to follow along with her to see what she's up to, I suggest you check out her Instagram and Facebook accounts and give them a follow. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing she has going on. Also be sure to visit her YouTube channel to see the amazing videos she’s shared.

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Between Dreams has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Between Dreams, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment