Monday, May 18, 2020

Nathalie Hernandez Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Nathalie Hernandez is a fantastic singer, and I was so thrilled when she agreed to visit with us and discuss her upcoming release, her past accomplishments and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Nathalie Hernandez visits Section 36!

This week you’ll release your single “Same for You”. What can you tell me about it?
I had just moved back to Boston after moving home to Dunedin, Florida for about a year after graduation. When I wrote this song, I had just started a new full time job which required me to take a train and a bus to and from work. The commute and the job was exhausting. I wrote the first verse of the song while sitting on the train on my way home. I also had just moved in with my boyfriend AKA best friend. It still is my favorite part of the day coming home to someone who will dance salsa with me in the kitchen while cooking dinner. So this song is saying I will give as much comfort and relief from every day worries to my person as they do to me. 

You had the opportunity to appear on Season 3 of The Voice. What was that experience like?
That was the craziest experience I have ever had! I was 15 years old when I went on the show. I knew nothing about it. It was a blast for my mom and I - hanging out in LA with all these crazy talented people. For my blind audition, I invited my guitar teacher and my singing teacher of 7 years to be part of my 'behind the scenes' crowd with my mom (my dad and brother couldn't make it). It was just a surreal experience. The hair and make up, the outfits, the life long friends I made. Don't get me wrong, I was absolutely terrified and had no idea what I was doing. Probably why I didn't make it very far, but I was 15 and very shy. I probably wouldn't do a TV singing show again. I would rather release original music and be myself (they definitely egg you on to do a lot of smack talk). But the show gave me a ton of amazing opportunities - I got to sing the National Anthem at a NFL Buccaneers game, grew a small fan base and I think it helped me get into Berklee! 

You were a student at Berklee College of Music. What’s the most important thing that experience did for your career?
Berklee was definitely a wake up call. Before Berklee, my music library was pretty limited. It consisted of a lot of rap music, a Marc Anthony CD my dad had, and a Queen CD my mom had (not saying that I don't still listen to those, I love them!). My music preferences and my music ability changed and grew so fast. Berklee made me become a better musician on the guitar which helped my songs get better. My Berklee peers and professors showed me artists I had never heard of before and exposed me to crazy interesting music. Berklee helped me understand music in general better. I think overall the experience help me get to a musical level I don't think I would have gotten on my own. 

What is your favorite part about performing in front of an audience?
That's a great question. It makes me happy thinking about my past shows. I think it's just seeing people's faces. It's nerve racking for me to talk to a room of people and try to make sure I don't say something stupid and then sing them my personal art. I like to look out in the crowd and be reassured my words are reaching someone. When someone is smiling at me or just eye locked with me, I know they are really listening to what I have to say. 

Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?
I draw a lot of inspiration from artists who have story telling songwriting and powerful, soulful voices. Some of my current favs are Allen Stone, Kehlani, and Daniel Cesear. Their lyrics and melodies are effortless. Simple, yet always fresh. My influences are definitely a mix of R&B and Pop. I also love Sabrina Claudio, Demi Lovato, Jill Scott, Joss Stone, and Mac Miller. I also love Reggae, Dancehall, and Reggaeton. I love a good track I can dance to. I could write a whole book about who I am influenced by. So many dope people.

Right now, what would you say is your biggest non-COVID career challenge?
I would say my biggest challenge right now is just putting out music and making sure it comes out with a professional and confident sound. I just released my first single out into the world last year and I feel like I've already learned a lot from that first song from production to marketing to writing my bio. It's a bunch of trial and error for me right now when it comes to releasing music, but hey it can only get better with some practice and effort. 

What are your immediate career goals?
Well I don't see any shows happening in the near future, so for now my current goals are to keep recording and to keep releasing good quality music. And honestly, a big goal on the to-do list is to just believe in myself. I write music and put myself out there for a reason. I think the more I believe in myself, the more my sound and my approach as an artist will flow and happen naturally. Other than that, the goal is to just enjoy life as it comes at me, pay my rent on time, and be a good person. 

——

I definitely hope she keeps releasing new music!

As always, I want to thank Nathalie for visiting, and for sending along the amazing pictures to accompany the interview.

Since I know you’ll also want to follow along with her to see what she's up to, I suggest you check out her Instagram and Facebook account and give it a follow. Also be sure to visit her website often! It’s a great way to make sure you don't miss a thing she has going on.

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Nathalie has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Nathalie, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment