Monday, January 27, 2020

Melissa Mills Visits Section 36!


Section 36 Music has another visitor! Melissa Mills is a
Photo by Portraits of Humans
talented singer, and I was so glad that she wanted to talk with us about her music.

So, let's see what happens when Melissa Mills visits Section 36!

This summer you released your single, “Blueberry Daydream”. What can you tell me about that song?
Blueberry Daydream is about finding a place in my mind to escape the feelings of guilt and regret in my life. We all go through hard times and make questionable choices, so this song was born out that feeling.  Blueberry was a huge milestone for me as a solo artist because it was the first song I released as Melissa Mills that was fully my own and was a solid representation of my sound as a musician. Recording this song also led to me working with a drummer which was always the goal for my music, to be back in a full band. 

Is there any more studio work in your plans?
Photo by Quesi James
Yes!! My next single, Lose My Cool, will be released February 14th, Valentine’s day!! I’ve taken a song I wrote on my loop pedal, and with the help of my friend/producer Stone Komodo we’ve created something new and exciting! It’s a bit psychedelic with a pop twist. And I absolutely can’t wait to get it out there!  Following that, I hope to release a few more singles in 2020, as well as hopefully a few music videos!

I enjoyed the video for your song “Make Sense”. What was it like to put that together?
Thank you! It was a really fun and random project that was a lot more difficult to achieve than I had imagined while planning it.  I had some friends over just to play some music and this song came to life. Around this time I had made the decision to change my Instagram handle to MelissaMillsmusic and I wanted something a bit flashy to show off my new name.  Since we had recorded our jam session, I selected my favorite minute and then recorded my vocal tracks over top. Then I mixed those in Garageband.  Following that I set up my house to be the set, and filmed all the various scenes on my friends camera. I think the most difficult part was editing them in iMovie as I’ve never tackled something like this before. Knowing that I wanted it to be a bit extra I learned some cool tricks with editing and I am very very proud of how it all came together.  There’s something about taking a small idea and watching it blossom into fruition that really excites me. 

You’ve been able to perform live on several occasions. What do you like most about being on stage?
Photo by Portraits of Humans
Being on stage is a rush like no other.  There’s this pressure to carry the energy of the room, but it is a good kind of pressure.  When I’m on stage, especially when playing with a full band, I feel liberated. I like to take my shoes off and dance barefoot, singing and shaking it with everything I have. I’ve been told by many that I’m a passionate performer, and that is definitely what I’m aiming for.  I want to entice and engage the audience; if I’m singing a sad tune I want us to feel it together and when I’m happy I want the room to glow.  Being a musician is a powerful position but it’s one I take on humbly and with so much love.

Does any specific appearance stand out in your mind? Why?
Recently I played at the Lizard Lounge, and it was one of the best shows I had played in a while. When the crowd is quiet and hanging on your every note, it is so uniquely special.  It is rare to be in a “listening room” and to have the audience truly care about what you’re giving out.  It was a beautiful show, and I could feel all the love in the room. 

Right now, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
Photo by Quesi James
Right now my biggest challenge is transitioning from a singer/songwriter into a full band. Since 2017 when my first band officially ended I have wanted to be back in that space.  Full bands are more easily hired, desired, and at the end of the day it is where I really want to be, so my biggest challenge is going to be finding the right opportunities to showcase that band.  I’ve been the band in the back of the room that’s almost background noise, and that is not where I want this band to go.  So there are many challenges, but I’m excited for a new journey. 

What are your immediate career goals?
In 2020 I have a lot of plans and intentions for my career as a musician.  I will be releasing my second single “Lose My Cool” in February and I hope that it will get to 1000 plays. I would like to get involved with Sofar sounds, and play one of their intimate shows. Also expanding the repertoire of the band with more original music, playing stages I’ve never played before, and returning to some of my favorite spots. Overall I want to gain traction as an artist and grow my connection to those in my music community and those that are into what I’m bringing to the table.  

—-

Hopefully she can accomplish those goals!

As always, I want to thank Melissa for visiting, and for allowing me to use the pictures that accompany the interview. They’re really wonderful.

Since I know you’ll want to follow along with Melissa to see what she's up to, I suggest you check out her website and follow her on Instagram. They’re the best ways to make sure you don’t miss any of the exciting things she teased during the interview.

Speaking of not missing out, don’t miss her next live show. She’ll be at The Worthen Attic in Lowell, MA on Feb 14. She’ll be celebrating the release of “Lose My Cool” and I’m sure you’ll want to celebrate with her!

Of course you can also find her music directly on Spotify

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, and pictures. It's a great way to enjoy everything Melissa has to offer.

Thanks again Melissa, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment