Monday, January 30, 2023

Ana Schon Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Ana Schon is a talented singer fresh off a recent single that is absolutely incredible. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Ana Schon visits Section 36 Music!

I really enjoyed your single “Lying to U”. What can you tell me about it?
“Lying to U” was the last track I released, in December 2021, and it is a song about a relationship where I feel like it’s harder to be honest than to make excuses. Sometimes it’s really hard to just say “no”, so you lie yourself into a hole. The verses are more of a writing exercise than anything else, trying to come up with the most outlandish lies possible that are so transparent it becomes obvious they’re not true. The only lyric that really happened is “mom invited Russian Orthodox priests over”; the lie there is only that it didn’t happen to me.


Is there more studio work I should know about? 

Yes! My song “Medicine” just came out this past Thursday (Jan 26), and it’s the first single off my debut album, which I’m so excited about. There’s songs in Spanish and in English that explore a wide range of sounds, and I can’t wait to share them with you.


You attended Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee is doing for your career? 

I just graduated Berklee, which feels really weird but also amazing. Berklee connected me with some incredible musicians who I’m so lucky to collaborate with, to have in my band, and to make things with. But especially with the music scene in Boston. I’m from Argentina, so I wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to start building a career here. I care so much about the bands and artists that make it up, it’s growing in a really amazing way.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

There's too many to count, but some major ones are Radiohead and Gustavo Cerati. I grew up surrounded by musicians because my dad is one, and meeting the people he worked with and hearing their music was also huge for me. Over the years I’ve listened to Latin (and especially Argentine) folk, jazz, some electronic music, and midwest emo, as well as more mainstream pop and rock, and I think that scramble of influences really shows in my work.


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

As someone who writes in more than one language, I think it can be difficult to find a niche. Because not everyone speaks both Spanish and English, there will always be some meaning lost, though I hope that the music itself is enough to connect with my audience. 


I also feel like I tend to take on a lot of projects - I’m currently working on my solo stuff, but also as part of the duo project Borneo, which I share with Mateo Monk, and also writing and producing with other artists. It’s a lot to handle but I love doing it!


What are your immediate career goals?

To get this album out and for you all to listen to it! I am also planning some performances around the Northeast for later this year which I’m really excited about. I really want to bring more music in Spanish (and Spanglish) to the forefront of the Boston/MA scene; there are way more of us than you’d think, and some incredible artists.


---


I am so excited to hear that album!


As always, I want to thank Ana for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now! You should also be sure to visit her website for even more information!

Thanks again Ana, and good luck reaching your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment