Monday, December 12, 2022

Elisabeth Waters Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Elisabeth Waters is a fantastic singer with a recent EP "Blue" that everyone should be listening to. I was so excited she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Elisabeth Waters visits Section 36 Music!

I’m a big fan of your recent EP “Blue”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you so much! "Blue" is a project that's been in the works for several years. It's all about the first time I fell in love, from first falling to realizing I needed to end things to all the different emotions that come with a break up. This project was a deeply personal undertaking. It's been a bit of a bittersweet experience letting it go and sharing it with the world.


What was your favorite part about the recording process?

My favorite part about recording is working with so many

talented musicians. I absolutely love how someone else may hear my song in a totally different way, a way that creates something entirely new and beautiful. Whenever I collaborate with other artists I usually try to give them as much freedom as possible. It takes the music in directions that I would have never imagined, and it's the most exciting part of the process for me. 


You graduated from Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee has done for your career? 

The biggest thing that Berklee did for my career was give it direction. I entered my first semester thinking that I would follow in my mother's footsteps and get a degree in music education. After about a week, I was exposed to all the other paths I could take while following my passion more directly. I got my degree in Jazz Composition and used what I learned to build the foundation for my songwriting. I also gained connections with musicians who thrive on collaboration, enriching the experience of making music as well as the music itself. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I would say my biggest influence is Amy Winehouse. Hearing her integration of older jazz idioms with modern pop and R&B was huge in creating my own style. I often describe my music as Amy Winehouse meets Alan Menken (I taught myself how to play piano with my mom's Disney fake books). I also listened to tons of Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, George Gershwin, and other popular jazz artists as well as my dad's favorites such as Sting, Tears for Fears, and Seal. The soundtrack of my late teens and early twenties was Emo, which definitely informs my lyric writing. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I'd say my biggest career challenge is the need to wear every hat all at once. As an independent artist I am my own publicist, social media manager, booking agent, web designer, and graphic designer. Trying to do everything at once sometimes leads to doing nothing at all and can get in the way of creative work.


What are your immediate career goals?

That's an overwhelming question. What are my immediate career goals... One of my immediate career goals is figuring out my immediate career goals. Now that I've learned how to take my career more seriously I can focus on specific strategies to expand my horizons. 


---


I can certainly understand those challenges!


As always, I want to thank Elisabeth for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!

Thanks again Elisabeth, and good luck finding your goals!


No comments:

Post a Comment