Thursday, December 15, 2022

Dakota Smith Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Dakota Smith is a wonderful singer with a recent self-titled EP that is simply fantastic. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Dakota Smith visits Section 36 Music!

I really enjoyed your recent self-titled debut EP. What can you tell me about it?

This EP was such an awesome first musical project to record and release. The record is for the most part just acoustic guitar and voice, both done by myself, and two of the tracks include my sister on violin and background vocals. My Dad helped produce the EP which was really important to me because he’s inspired so much of my writing and musicianship. The songs on this record are all really special to me and I couldn’t be prouder to put them out into the world in a really raw, stripped down form considering that’s exactly how I wrote and envisioned them. 


What is your favorite part about performing in front of an audience?

As intimidating and scary as performing in front of an audience can be I actually really enjoy the vulnerability and the opportunity to open up through my music. Whether it’s a room full of people that I know personally or a group of strangers who are experiencing me for the first time I love knowing that they’re getting to see a different part of me through my performance. 


You are currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing you can see Berklee doing for your career?

It’s a huge privilege to be going to school at Berklee. I think education and skill building is incredibly important for anyone but especially for musicians. The thing I love the most about Berklee is the opportunities for collaboration and exploring many musical styles. I can really see Berklee pushing me to a new level of artistry and facilitating some beautiful musical relationships that will move me forward in my career. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I always have to acknowledge the ways that my Dad’s songwriting and music career has influenced and inspired my own. Aside from that I would consider Brandi Carlile, Laura Marling, Regina Spektor, and Fiona Apple to be really influential artists, especially in lyricism.


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I’d say my biggest career challenge at the moment is finding the confidence to take up more space. I tend to hold back from the things I want out of fear that I won’t be appreciated or respected. Living in a big city and going to a school full of amazing musicians has definitely shown me the importance of being confident and letting go of that anxiety. I’m slowly learning to throw myself into the action with a positive attitude and make my best effort at whatever I do. 


What are your immediate career goals?

As of right now my hope is to finish undergrad with a performance degree and go on to study music education at a graduate level. I aspire to be a private voice teacher as well as perform and record my original music. That being said I know life throws curveballs and different challenges and opportunities will surely come up, I’m open to anything if it includes continuing to write my music and share it with people.

---


Those sound like great goals!


As always, I want to thank Dakota for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now!

Thanks again Dakota, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment