Monday, September 6, 2021

Lily Rhodes Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Lily Rhodes is an amazing singer, fresh off the release of her latest single "Calling to Say. I was thrilled she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Lily Rhodes visits Section 36 Music!

I really enjoyed your recent single “Calling to Say”. What can you tell me about it? 
My newest single, ‘Calling To Say’ is inspired by a voicemail I had planned and scripted for my ex-boyfriend. Although our relationship ended in heartbreak, writing and producing ‘Calling To Say’ allowed me to reminisce about our past and wish my ex-boyfriend and his family the best. My friend and fellow musician Evan Cieplik helped contributed bass, guitar, and drums to the song to compliment my emotional lyrics, soulful vocals, and lo-fi production style. 

You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest way that’s benefitting your career? 
Attending Berklee College of Music has taught me many things about music theory, rhythm, musicianship, and more. My songwriting ability has developed a lot, and I’m able to apply knowledge to write, produce, and play. Everyone I meet who attends Berklee is so hardworking and talented, so the inspiration abounds. I am looking forward to finally 
attending on-campus this fall! 

You sometimes perform as part of the duo “Lily and Evan”. What do you like about those performances? 
I perform as part of the acoustic duo, ‘Lily and Evan’, with Evan Cieplik. I enjoy working with him because every gig just feels like a jam session with my friend. I enjoy singing a mix of both of our solo original material, as well as songs we’ve co-written. Evan’s got a vast knowledge of music, so learning from him has helped me write music, play guitar, perform, and be a better musician in general. 

Who are some other artists you've been listening to lately? 
I take inspiration from many kinds of music, but I listen to indie, folk, and rock music the most often. Some of my biggest musical influences include; Elliott Smith, Jim Croce, Kurt Vile, Talking Heads, The Cure, Norah Jones, John Prine, Beck, Phoebe Bridgers, and Danny Elfman. 

What would you say is your biggest career challenge? 
My biggest career challenge is my self-doubt. Oftentimes, I question my competency and abilities. The music industry can be an extremely competitive place, which is one of my
least favorite aspects of being a musician. However, I always remember that as an artist, you’re only competing against yourself. If I can write a song that’s better than the last song I’ve written, play a gig better than I did last time, or promote myself in a more effective way than I have in the past, I am satisfied. 

What are your immediate career goals? 
My immediate career goals include; playing as many gigs with friends as I can, promoting my new song, ‘Calling To Say’, and producing my other projects. Once I can attend college on campus, I think I will have a better idea of what I want to do with my life. I’ve always been intrigued by performing, writing, and producing my music, so I intend on doing so as long as I am able.

---

I can't wait to see which direction she takes!

As always, I want to thank Lily for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Lily to see what she's up to. The best way is to visit her socials like Instagram and YouTube and visit her website. They're all great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. Of course, you can always find her music on Spotify.

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Lily has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Lily, and good luck reaching your goals!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment