Monday, March 15, 2021

Riley Wells Visits Section 36 Music!

Photo by Holy Smoke Photography
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Riley Wells is a fantastic singer, and I was excited she was willing to visit with us and discuss her recent music, her future, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Riley Wells visits Section 36 Music!

You just released a brand new single, “Every Language”. What can you tell me about it?
“Every Language” is my heart song...it’s a personal expression of the magic that is falling in love. When I sat down to write that story, I was feeling such wonderful emotions- that sense of being on a high and encapsulated by this elation. It’s a song that describes the kind of love that goes beyond our words- a language between our souls, our energy, even our body language. What naturally bloomed from that moment was this dreamy and ethereal feel-good wonderland of honest lyrics and soulful pop melody. 
 
Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?
It’s definitely a good mix! I grew up listening to motown and
Photo by Swell Productions

soul music- it was my mom’s favorite- and I came to love the way artists like Earth Wind & Fire and Marvin Gaye sang with a certain level of honesty and heart that resonated so deeply with me. In life, I’m inspired by the romance of it all- I’m big on finding what makes a moment romantic- even the mundane ones. I’m inspired by love, by vulnerability, and the intimacy that is the experience of being alive.

 
You are currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing you feel that is doing for your career?
 Berklee has truly opened my eyes to many aspects of the music industry and being a creative entrepreneur, and I sometimes wonder if I would have ever known the things I know now had I not walked these halls. The experience of attending a music school like this one, goes beyond the physical classroom and really extends to the students and the relationships we build here. I’ve learned a lot from the people around me and my professors alike, and I feel really grateful to have had a place that fostered so much of my growth as an artist, songwriter and person. 
 
Which Disney song would you most want to cover? Why?
Photo by Swell Productions
I love this question! A Disney song that I’ve always been extremely taken by is ‘Reflection’ from Mulan. It gives me chills every time I hear it. Self-awareness and personal reflection is such a huge part of my life, I’m always finding more ways to discover what brings me joy and what feels true to me. I think what I really love about this tune in particular, is the fact that she asks herself the question, “When will my reflection show who I am inside?” Though it is a moment of painful expression, it’s also really freeing- there’s freedom in her asking the question itself. It suggests that she is starting to really know who she is on the inside, and is seeking change in her outer world to be reflective of that. It’s a lesson we can all take for life, because the greatest feeling is when we realize our power to change our external reality, by first starting with our internal one. 

 
Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
Being a solo artist and just beginning a creative career can have its challenges, just in the way that it requires a certain strength, resilience and responsibility to the self to keep motivated and on top of things. It can be hard to feel like I need to be the strongest one I can lean on, but at the end of the day- it is incredibly rewarding. I feel proud when I continue to show up for myself and move forward towards the pursuit of my career. 
 
What are your immediate career goals?
Creating, expressing, and living in my truth as a solo pop artist and songwriter in the commercial pop industry! I love to sing, I love to write, and I plan to continue expanding my presence as a pop artist in the music industry throughout my life.

---

I'm definitely excited for what comes ahead!

As always, I want to thank Riley for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Riley to see what she's up to. The best way is to visit her website, and follow her social media accounts like Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Riley has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Riley, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment