Monday, December 21, 2020

Cat Lines Visits Section 36!

Photo by
Nora Grace Albinus Photography
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Cat Lines is a wonderful violinist and singer, and I was so glad she wanted to visit with us and discuss her latest single, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Cat Lines visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your holiday single “It’ll Still be a Merry Christmas”. What can you tell me about it?
Thank you! I think that this year has presented so many challenges, and one of the biggest ones was not being able to travel and see loved ones. It really started to hit me in late October, how likely it was that I wouldn’t be going home for the holidays. I haven’t been home in almost a year, so that was pretty terrifying, and this song was my way of dealing with it in the most positive way possible. I wrote it in two days, recorded it in a week, and now it’ll be out December 11th on all music platforms. I really hope this song can bring comfort to people who are in the same situation, and offer some hope in an otherwise very difficult year.
 
I also loved the video for your other single “Let ‘Em Talk”. What was that like to put together?
“Let em talk” was my debut single specifically because I
wanted something that came off as very positive and uplifting. I play for a band, Raquel & the Wildflowers, and my singer, Raquel had a lot of experience with music videos, so she and I drove around upstate New York and filmed in various places outdoors. My sister is an incredible dancer, and I actually wrote this song for both of us, so I had her choreograph and film a large section as well. My wonderful friend (and wildflowers drummer) Tommy edited the whole video together. It was magical, it got such a wonderful and positive response, and I can’t wait to do it again, hopefully soon.
 
You’ve been able to work with several other artists in the past. Do you have a dream collaboration you’d love to do?
Photo by Richard Killian
I am first and foremost a violinist, so I love working in studio settings creating string parts for people’s projects (my own included). I really love Ed Sheeran and I think his music is really suitable for violin and dense vocal harmonies. However, if I could be mentored in songwriting by Taylor Swift, I ABSOLUTELY would. I think she’s brilliant and really knows how to tell a story that reaches everyone on some level. And if I could take lessons from Jimmy Mattingly, Garth Brooks’ fiddle player? That would be the coolest.
 
Who or what would you say in your biggest musical influence?
Probably Taylor Swift. However, I did grow up listening to a fair amount of Garth Brooks, Sting and the Police, and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, so those definitely play in.
 
Right now, what would you say is your biggest non-COVID career challenge?
Navigating social media is a challenge; deciding which
Photo by
Nora Grace Albinus Photography
platforms to invest my time in, figuring out the best way to reach people in such a digital age. It’s easy to get caught up in a numbers game and forget that the most important thing isn’t how many people you reached, but how many people actually cared and were positively affected by what you created.

What are your immediate career goals?
I want to create and release great music on a regular basis. I want to continue to create and hone my technique and make music that people really feel, and relate to, and are comforted by. I have some big plans for 2021, so hopefully that’s within reach no matter what else happens.

---

I definitely want to find out what those plans are! 

As always, I want to thank Cat for visiting, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Cat to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram and visit her website. They're great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing!

You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Cat has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Cat, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment