Monday, December 7, 2020

Ana Ortiz Wienken visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Ana Ortiz Wienken is a talented composer, and I was so glad she wanted to visit with us and discuss her upcoming music, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Ana Ortiz Wienken visits Section 36!

You had the opportunity to score the horror short film "SLAB". What was that experience like?
Scoring the short film “SLAB” was indeed a terrific experience! It was one of the first feature films I got to work on. I loved to have the opportunity of experiencing the red carpet screening event and to see that my music really impacted the audience. 
I absolutely loved the experience, and a fun fact, is that the moment of recording the score with a live orchestra was terrifying, as it is a horror short film, and many of us musicians got scared with certain scenes when hitting the sync points. 
 
You’re a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What’s the most important thing that experience did for your career?
The most important thing that I learned is that mixing and
mastering your compositions with electronics is crucial. In a world that is constantly evolving we have to adapt to the newest technologies. Therefore I immersed myself into the electronic design and production spectrum of film scoring. 

 
You started your own company “AOW Music Productions”. What made you decide to do that?
I decided to create my own company when I finished my internships at Music and Motions and CHROMA (Netflix, Bumblebee, Hunger Games..) because I realized that I learned both aspects of how to manage a musical company: The business/administrative and the creative side. 
 
I also want to empower and inspire other younger composers to have their own business and have the experience of being their own boss.
 
You’ve been able to perform in countries all over the world. Do you have a favorite venue you’ve performed in?
My favorite venue is the Four Seasons in Hungary. It is a magical place and the Art Nouveau structure of the concert Hall is designed so perfectly that we can all experience each note as an intense vibration. Absolutely an unforgettable experience to play. 

 
I am also in Love with Hungary as a country. Full of folklore, history, music and color! 
 
Right now, what would you say is your biggest non-COVID career challenge?
Fortunately, my work is remotely performed. I create a soundtrack score and later send it to the director for approval and further edits. However what is indeed quite challenging is to direct the orchestral recording remotely. It can be done through Skype or Zoom, however it is not the same to conduct the orchestra in person. 
 
What are your immediate career goals?
I look forward to finishing up completing my personal crew of producers and editors for my company. We are facing weekly heavier film projects, therefore all gear and crew must be polished and ready for what is yet to come. 
I also started an international network of connections to ensure that my company works for international and national film projects. 

—-

Sounds like exciting times are ahead!

As always, I want to thank Ana for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Ana to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram and visit her website. They're great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing!
You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and more. It's a great way to enjoy everything Ana has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Ana, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment