Monday, September 14, 2020

Mae McCoy Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Mae McCoy is a wonderful singer, and I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Mae McCoy visits Section 36!


I really enjoyed your recent single “I Don’t Want My Heart To Break”. What can you tell me about it?

IDWMHTB is a song about loving someone to the point of needing to leave them. Sometimes, relationships can get toxic. And sometimes it’s important to realize when it’s time to let the person go so you both can move on, especially when you don’t want your heart to break. 


You’re currently a student at Berklee College of Music. What is the biggest thing that is doing for your career?

Berklee influences who I get to network with in the industry. I

met Justin Meyer, who I wrote IDWMHTB with, and he produced the song with me as well. I also met Stephen Trischitta and Alexander Wright through Berklee. So really, the school has helped me make connections that are ultimately going to benefit me in my career.


What would you consider your musical style or genre?

I would say my primarily genre is pop simply because that’s one of the most inclusive genres. You can have pop-rock, pop-rap, pop ballads, etc. I don’t really like to constrain my songwriting to a genre. I just write and sometimes it sounds more poppy and sometimes it sounds more like R&B or hip-hop, etc. But pop would be the closest one word answer :) 


Who or what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?

Ed Sheeran has always been my biggest influence. Before I knew about his music, I focused on classical piano and choir music. But then I discovered Ed Sheeran and I was really inspired by the fact that he wrote his own songs. So then I took up songwriting as a way to cope. I consider myself a songwriter before anything else :) I was also very inspired by Christina Grimmie though while growing up. I loved her singing and piano playing. I think it’s one of the main reasons I belt in a lot of my songs. 


Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
I would say the biggest challenge for me is writing for both me and the people. Writing for me started as a way to cope with my emotions, but once I knew I wanted to be a singer-songwriter, that’s when I realized I had to turn it into an actual career for myself. And in order to do that, I have to write something that the people want to hear. So sometimes it’s difficult to balance my own passions and what will be trendy. I still haven’t quite found that balance, but I’m hoping it’s something I’ll develop as I continue to release singles :D


What are your immediate career goals?

I would like to be big enough to go on tour and not have to

worry about money. I don’t need millions, but I don’t want to end up needing a second job that ends up turning music into just a hobby for me. I would love to find my niche and get connected with fans. I really hope my music can move someone the way artists I love move me with their music.

---


Hopefully we can help her reach those goals!


As always, I want to thank Mae for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I know you’ll all want to follow along with Mae to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her on Instagram. It’s the perfect way to make sure you don't miss a thing.


You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Mae has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Mae, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment