Monday, September 7, 2020

Delia Brennan Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Delia Brennan is a talented singer, and I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Delia Brennan visits Section 36!


I really enjoyed your recent album “People Leave”. What can you tell me about it?

I wrote this album over quarantine when I was feeling really defeated in many areas of my life. I was missing a lot of people from Boston, feeling disconnected from folks at home, and feeling like I’d lost myself in some way. Creating this album helped me get over that hump and express my feelings and struggles in a way that I could better understand; through music. It helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel and create healthy relationships again in my life- with people, with music, and with myself. I had so much fun creating it and it’s now available on all streaming platforms!


You’re currently a student at Berklee College of Music. What is the biggest thing that is doing for your career?

Berklee has provided me so many connections with amazing

musicians from all over the world who specialize in different things, whether it be production, performance, songwriting, etc. I have collaborated with so many amazing people within the semester and a half that I lived in Boston, and I can’t wait for 3 more years of knowledge and collaboration and connections.


You have a history in musical theater. What do you enjoy about performing on stage?

Musical theatre is where I found that my passion for music wasn’t really a hobby, but what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I love performing onstage because I love being in a live piece of art with other artists, and I love that every performance is different. You’ll never give the same exact show twice, which I think is so much of the beauty of theatre. I love musical theatre, and I really hope to find it again someday in my career or as a hobby.


Who or what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?

Some of my biggest influences as a songwriter are Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, and Sara Bareilles. I love that all 3 of them have the ability to create such vivid imagery with their lyrics in very few words, and such memorable and unique melodies with only a few notes or that are only a few seconds long. I really hope to capture that essence in my music.


Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I think the nature of the music industry makes finding a career in music a challenge for anybody. It’s all about forming connections and accepting and embracing rejection, and that makes it very difficult for a lot of people. I think Berklee prepares their students really well to find careers in the “real world”, so I think I’ll feel a bit better about it 3 years down the line, but it is slightly daunting to me. 


What are your immediate career goals?

I would love to keep creating in any capacity, whether it’s

creating entirely original music and making money off of streams and gigs (whenever those are commonplace in my area again), or arranging for other groups, I would just love to make a career of freelance writing and arranging while I’m a student. It’s a great way to make some money while getting better at my craft.


---


Hopefully she’ll be able to reach those goals!


As always, I want to thank Delia for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I know you’ll all want to follow along with Delia to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her on Instagram and Facebook, or visit her website. They’re great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing. You should also be sure to check out her music on Spotify, or anywhere else you choose!


You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Delia has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Delia, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment