Monday, April 20, 2020

Nora Sheridan Visits Section 36!


Photo by Brian Chin
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Nora Sheridan is a talented singer, and I was so excited she was willing to visit with us and discuss her musical accomplishments and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Nora Sheridan visits Section 36!

I enjoyed your EP “Nora”. What was it like to put that together?
Thanks so much :) you know it was my first time releasing original music. It was somewhat terrifying but thrilling at the same time. I recorded at a studio that I actually interned at The Loft in Bronxville NY and I had so much fun! The studio owner and I were very close and we had a great time putting it together. We actually did it in only one day it took about seven hours to record all five songs.

Do you see more studio work in your future?
Photo by Brian Chin
I definitely do, my EP has a very acoustic soft sound to it, and I’ve been looking for ways to kind of amp up my original music. Whether that’s with more synthesized instrumentation or with live instruments. I do actually have an album in the works at the movement which I’m very excited about. I have about 5/15 of the songs recorded and mixed. I’ve been working on getting them mastered, and I of course want to get back in the studio. There’s something really magical about hearing the songs you’ve written come together, and getting to perform them in a studio space. 

Who/what do you consider your biggest musical influence?
Photo by
Holy Smoke Photography
Hmmm my biggest musical influence, I first found my love for singing with Adele’s 21 album. “Someone Like You” was actually the first song I learned on the piano. But I have huge respect and admiration for vocalists like Nina Simone, Celine Dion, and Barbara Streisand as well. The amount of vocal control these artists have is inspiring. I would also say that in my musical career my biggest influence has been my family. Both my parents, and nine siblings (yes I have nine siblings haha) have always been really supportive of me and my music. And I don’t know if I would have pursued my dream without them. 

You’re a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What’s the most important thing that experience did for your career?
Photo by Brian Chin
Berklee honestly helped me grow so much into the performer, writer, and artist that I am now. Before I attended there the amount of musical knowledge that I was lacking was astounding. There were so many things I had no idea about. Especially when it comes to songwriting. I wouldn’t be where I am now as a writer without the help and support from so many of my Berklee professors. I know a lot of people have trepidations about going to school for an art, but in my opinion it was the best thing for me. I am a much more confident performer, I have the training and the technique as a singer that I wouldn’t have found elsewhere. Even just having a degree has impacted the jobs that I have been able to acquire post graduation, and the life that I am leading now. I have a Bachelor of Music, a dual degree in Songwriting and Vocal Performance with a minor in Creative Writing. I did a 5.5 year program in 4 years, which is something that I will always be really proud of. And I wouldn’t change anything about my experience at Berklee.

You’ve had the opportunity to perform live, on stage. What’s your favorite part about singing in front of an audience?
Photo by
Holy Smoke Photography
There’s something incredibly intimate and special about performing in front of an audience. Whether it be on a big stage, in an arena, or even just in your backyard in front of five people. The fact that everyone stops and just listens, you have their attention and they want to hear you. They want to hear you sing and perform. Listen to the songs you’ve written. It’s a really beautiful feeling, one that I first felt when I was thirteen years old. I was chosen to sing the song “Angel” by Sarah McLaughlin during a scene in a play. I wasn’t even on stage when I was singing, I was off to the side. But I could feel the audience. I could feel them listening. That was the first time I truly found my love for performing. And that love has never gone away.

Right now, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
Photo by
Holy Smoke Photography
Really just getting my music out there. It’s unfortunately not an inexpensive thing recording an album. I’ve been working three different jobs to make everything work, which hasn’t given me as much time for writing and performing as I’d like. I know it’s a choice to go and put yourself out there, and it’s a decision I need to make more often for myself. But I’ve been working on it! :)

What are your immediate career goals?
Photo by
Holy Smoke Photography
That’s a tough one, ideally I would love to be able to make a living just from writing and performing my own songs. But I am completely open to having other artists perform my work and writing for them. I’d like to try out more co-writes because that isn’t something I’ve done a lot of. I’m teaching music at the moment on the Upper East Side. It’s a musically driven child development program called TLB Music that has really been inspiring for me. Getting to watch and help the kids learn, and find their love for music just like I did. It’s been very fulfilling, especially while I’ve been finding my footing as an artist outside of college. I also have been teaching fitness classes which I really enjoy as well. But optimally I’d like to finish my album, and get out performing as much as possible. 

——

Hopefully she can finish that album soon!

As always, I want to thank Nora for visiting, and for allowing me to use so many fantastic pictures to accompany the interview.


I highly recommend you check her out on Spotify so you can hear her wonderful music firsthand! 

Since I know you’ll want to follow along with Nora to see what she's up to, I suggest check out her Instagram and Facebook accounts and give them a follow.

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Nora has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Nora, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment