Monday, December 23, 2019

Amanda McCarthy Visits Section 36


Photo by Cannafarina Photography

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Amanda McCarthy is a talented singer and performer. It was wonderful to have her visit and discuss her past recordings, her appearances, and more! I'm sure you'll enjoy what she had to say.

So, let's see what happened when Amanda McCarthy Visited Section 36!

This summer you released your first album “Road Trip”. What was it like putting that together?
Putting together Road Trip was, quite literally, a journey from start to finish. It started out as a 2-single project, which then turned into a 6-song EP, but while the songs on the EP were strong, there were definitely pieces missing to tell a full story. Aat that point I decided to bite the bullet and go for a full length album. Road Trip certainly tells a story. With the new decade coming, and people asking me to sum up my life from this current decade, I jokingly tell them to listen to Road Trip. It includes songs written in 2011/2012 to songs that were written right before recording them. It's a mix of my influences in pop, rock, and country. A mix of serious, fun, and snarky. I'm proud of it because it really showcases who I am as an artist and a person.

Have you been working on any other recordings, and when might we be able to hear the results?
My 2020 promise is to debut at least one new song a month, though that may not necessarily be as a formal single. I'm trying to really focus on writing right now, and cutting my teeth as a professional songwriter for others as well as really deciding what I want my next personal artist project to sound like. I'm really loving both country and pop right now, but I want my next project released as myself to be somewhat cohesive in genre. So 2020 will include me exploring those genres, a few cuts in the works for other artists to be recording songs I've written, and me sharing at least one new song a month. I struggle with perfectionism, but I want to share even SoundCloud demos or live-video recordings so I'm not leaving fans in the dark and they can hear what I'm working on.

You recently went to LA for the Hollywood Music in Media Awards. What was that experience like?
Photo by MB Padfield
The HMMA ceremony was very cool. A friend of mine who lives in LA and came as my "date" described it as the "Baby Grammy's." I was able to walk a red carpet with tons of cameras going off and was part of a few different interviews. The red carpet and all the photography flashes reminded me of something you'd see in a movie, it was definitely something I don't do every day haha. It was so cool being nominated and getting to be part of the whole process and ceremony.

You've been able to perform at several live shows. What have you liked about those experiences?
I love live shows because, at least for me, I'm always doing something different. I might be playing acoustic or with my band. I might be delivering my heart playing all original songs, or in a more restaurant/bar environment singing cover songs. Some venues want all rock, some want all country. I'm able to wear a lot of hats and I never feel like I'm compromising myself, even at the cover shows, because it still puts me in front of an audience, still gives me a chance to deliver some (if not all) original music, and I'm so versatile as an artist that I never feel as if I'm being someone I'm not. I have my rock side, my country side, and it's cool to have different places where I can show different pieces of me. Connecting with people, hearing them enjoy my music and hearing them tell me that my original music really resonated with them is my all time favorite feeling as a songwriter.

Do you have any upcoming appearances you’re especially excited about?
Photo by CJ Boulais
New Year's Eve, my band will be in Woodstock NH at the Woodstock Inn for their huge NYE bash. We played last year and it gets pretty intense up there, lol. Definitely a party environment and a real good time. Boston fans can hear some originals at the Middle East Corner on 12/30, Maine fans at Elements in Biddeford on 1/11, and South Shore fans at C-Note in Hull on 1/12.

Right now, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
My biggest career challenge...oh boy lol. I think first off I really need to decide on a primary genre, which has always been a challenge for me because I'm all about authenticity and being true to yourself. Some days my authentic self is a pretty country girl in flower dresses, and some days my authentic self plays alt-rock music and wears Converse and beanies. Recently, my authentic self also includes pop music. I will continue to strive to make all parts of myself work, but also striving for a more cohesive blend as not to confuse audiences who don't already know me.... I think my current audience is pretty aware that I can't make up my mind LOL. That's also part of why I want to explore writing for others more, I think it will give me a chance to show off those different strengths. 

What are your immediate career goals?
My next-step I'm working on is to secure some better opening slots for bigger artists. I've done a lot of side-stage stuff, which has been AWESOME for meeting and engaging with newer bigger crowds with similar music taste to me, but unfortunately a lot of talent-bookers, management etc. only want to know who you've been on the MAIN stage with. So that's my next step is to be able to grow that list, and hopefully find some solid dedicated management for myself as an artist as well. As I said earlier, 2020 will have some artists recording songs I've written for or with them and I hope to expand that list. And you heard it here first folks.... I'll be moving to Nashville during late summer/early fall of 2020.

---


That’s some exciting news. I bet she’ll love it there!

As always, I want to thank Amanda for visiting. I also want to thank her for sending along the pictures that accompany the interview. They’re the perfect addition to the discussion.

Since I know you’ll want to follow along with Amanda to see what she's up to and how her career is progressing, I suggest you check out and follow her website and social media accounts: Instagram, and Facebook. You should also be sure to check out all of her music on Spotify. They’re the best ways to make sure you don’t miss any of the exciting things she teased during the interview.

Of course you should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and some of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Amanda has to offer.

Thanks again Amanda, and good luck with your next endeavor! 

No comments:

Post a Comment