Thursday, May 25, 2023

Signe Levin Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 
Music has another visitor! 
Signe Levin is a wonderful singer fresh off the release of her latest single, "Into The Sand". I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us and discuss her music, future goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Signe Levin visits Section 36 Music!

Your recent single, “Into the Sand” is simply fantastic. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you! I wrote ”Into The Sand” in the bedroom of my family cabin in Southern Sweden when I went back home over winter break. Being surrounded by the stillness of nature, I found myself having a lot of time to reflect on everything I experienced during my first semester abroad and it inspired me to create this song. ”Into The Sand” explores the concept of falling too deeply in love with someone, and the fear of that love being unrequited, having it ”run into the sand”. It’s definitely one of the more vulnerable songs I’ve written, and it allowed me to explore sides of my songwriting that I haven’t really shared before. So I’m beyond grateful to everyone who has listened!


Having released both this song, and your previous EP, what is your favorite part of the recording process?

Growing up in a very musical family, being in the studio has always felt like a second home to me. I’m very lucky to be able to record a lot together with my dad, which is incredibly fun! I think my favorite part of the recording process is seeing how a song can grow from just an idea into something bigger, as well as the creative freedom I feel whenever I’m in the studio. There’s something special about being in that space that makes me feel the most like myself as a writer and artist.


You are currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing Berklee has done for your career?

Berklee is a wonderful place! I’ve learned so much in my first year, not just about music but also about people and different cultures. I think just being surrounded by so many talented and inspiring musicians has been an incredible learning experience, and I’ve had the opportunity to meet and collaborate with some amazing people! Having industry professionals as professors at the school and being able to partake in different events and concerts has definitely opened my eyes to parts of the industry I didn’t know as much about before.


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I’ve always considered Joni Mitchell and The Beatles two of my biggest musical influences, but I also love Nick Drake and more contemporary artists such as Clairo, Phoebe Bridgers, Lizzy McAlpine and beabadoobee. Growing up, I spent a lot of time singing in choirs and playing classical violin, so I think part of my identity as a songwriter has also been influenced by that.

 

What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

I’d say one of my biggest career challenges is finding a balance between staying true to my artistic vision and keeping up with the ever-changing trends in the industry. As a singer/songwriter, I strive to create music that is authentic and meaningful to me, but I also recognize the importance of realizing the preferences and demands of the popular music industry. I guess that’s always going to be a challenge, but staying true to what inspires me and acknowledging the fact that I will also grow and change as a musician over time is important I think. 


What are your immediate career goals?

There’s so much I want to do! Releasing more music is definitely one of my main goals right now, and I’m planning on releasing an EP this summer, so I’m very excited about that! I’d also love to release an album further down the line. For now, I want to continue establishing myself as a writer and artist both in Sweden and the US, and hopefully create music that makes people feel something!


--


I can't wait to hear that EP!


As always, I want to thank Signe for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow along with her to see what she's up to. I would definitely follow her on Instagram, and/or Spotify. In fact, go do both right now! 


Thanks again Signe, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment