Monday, November 22, 2021

Jackie Therrien Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Jackie Therrien is an incredible singer, coming off the release of her latest single "April". I was so excited she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Jackie Therrien visits Section 36 Music!

I really enjoyed your recent single, “April”. What can you tell me about it?

Thank you! I wrote April earlier this year, sometime in the spring. For the longest time I had been trying to write a song about love and how it feels to be in love without actually using the word “love”. I was at home one day, and at this point we were still mainly remote for school. I remember having a few minutes in between classes, so I picked up my guitar and just started playing 3 chords over and over again. I started thinking of specific moments, places, and colors, things that reminded me of him. I think those arethe kinds of things that build up to create love, which is why this song came to me so easily once I had gotten the hang of what I wanted to do. I knew immediately I wanted it to be the next single.


Having released several songs/albums, what do you enjoy most about the recording process?

My favorite part is probably adding in all the backing vocals.

Because I do everything myself and work independently, all the vocals are me, so I’ve always found it fun having to sing lower or higher than I normally would to have the contrast in voices. I also just LOVE harmonies. I’ve always felt like harmonies can sometimes be the thing that really bring a song to life.


What would you say is the biggest challenge with your musical career?

The biggest challenge is trying to get people to listen and widen the audience. You’d think it’d be easy these days with all the different social media platforms, but it’s not, because everyone else has all the same tools you do. And some people are just better at grabbing your attention on social media, keeping it short and sweet, but keeping you interested. And sometimes it’s just luck. Some people blow up on Tik Tok overnight, and others are struggling to get 200 views. It’s really really hard, and it’s a lot of work.


What do you enjoy most about performing in front of an audience?

I enjoy getting to talk a little bit about what I’m playing, and kind of give people a shirt back story of the song. I love talking about my lyrics, because my favorite part of what I do is coming up with lyrics, so when I get to talk about them and explain them and what my thoughts process was it’s always really fun. 


Who/what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I feel like I’m influenced by so many different artists of so many different genres. Taylor Swift, Fleetwood Mac, The Beach Boys, Maisie Peters, Charlie Puth, John Mayer, Billie Eilish, Lana Del Rey, Supertramp, Harry Styles, ELO. I think I’m influenced by everyone and every song I listen to, because almost every artist has their own little unique things they do, and I always try to find those things, and then I find myself doing things similar to those unique little things. 


I also think I’m very influenced by what I’m watching on TV and the soundtracks of what I’m watching. Like my second album, Dreaming, I feel was very affected by the music in the show Stranger Things. Not even just the 80s songs that we all know, but the score, and how the synthesizer was used. It definitely reflected into my music, looking back.


What are your immediate career goals?

Well I’m releasing a new song very very soon, it’s called “I

Tried Too Hard”, and it’s a song I’m really proud of and it means a lot to me, so my goal is that it gets the attention it deserves. I want it to be successful, especially because this is just the start of an even bigger project!


---

I can't wait to hear her new song!

As always, I want to thank Jackie for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Jackie to see what she's up to. The best way is to visit her socials like Instagram and YouTube. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. Of course, you can always find her music on Spotify.

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Jackie has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Jackie, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment