Monday, March 2, 2020

Angela Wright Visits Section 36!


Section 36 Music has another visitor! Angela Wright is a fantastic singer, and I was excited that she wanted to talk with us about her singles and the rest of her music.

So, let's see what happens when Angela Wright visits Section 36!

You’ve released several singles over the last couple years. Is there one that means the most to you?
The single that means the most to me would have to be “Can You See Me Now”. The reason for that song being the most sentimental to me, is even though the song appears to be a love song, I actually wrote about my grandmother passing away from cancer. She and I always had a special relationship, and her passing took a big toll on me. In writing the song, I was balancing wanting to show someone far away how I was doing and capturing how I felt they would be feeling. Particularly describing how she tried to be strong for our family .“You smiled so happy, when you felt others near, because you never wanted us to be in fear”. This is always an emotional one to perform. 

Is there any more studio work in your plans?
I feel like I have been living in the studio these days. I am actually in the process of recording a new solo EP that should be expected to be released within this year. Stay tuned for a spring release!

You spent a year at Berklee College of Music. What was the most important thing to come out of that experience?
Berklee is a great spot for being surrounded with some of the most talented young musicians and creatives the world has to offer. The friendships, jam sessions and things you learn both inside and outside of class are so important for a young artist to be immersed in. I am so appreciative to have had that opportunity. 

You’ve been able to perform live on several occasions. What do you like most about being on stage?
Performing on stage has always been a passion of mine. When I was younger I would partake in every musical or play I could get involved in, both on or off stage. However, I have found true joy in being able to perform live the songs I write with other talented musicians. Nothing makes me feel better than the chemistry and energy coming from the performers and audience members. The audience and their support is what truly affects a performer. When I can make an impact on someone with my words, feelings, thoughts or voice, I feel like I have made a difference. 

Does any specific appearance stand out in your mind? Why?
My favorite experience performing was when I opened for AirSupply. We were at an outdoor amphitheater, and as we were waiting for the show to start, I was peeking from backstage and my heart was racing as I was watching thousands of people pile into the seats. As the adrenaline kicks in, I hear my name announced alongside the great AirSupply Band.  I walk out on stage the band wishes me good luck from backstage (they are the coolest!). I got to sing a couple of songs, and At the end of the show they brought me back out on stage for the encore bow and I got to shake hands with audience members from the stage. It was pretty incredible to perform with legends in front of thousands, but I was so touched that the audience actually wanted to engage with me post-show. 

Right now, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
The biggest career challenge as an artist can be getting your music heard. We work so hard on the artistic part of making the music, but as a creative, it can be harder to work on the marketing. Releasing a song and not getting it the exposure you hope it deserves is very similar to the quote “If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it does it really fall?”. 

What are your immediate career goals?
I am most passionate about making music I love, and hopefully other people will enjoy it alongside me in the process. Some of my immediate career goals are to wrap up this EP, which I’m feeling really good about, and then hitting the ground running with promoting it. I feel my songs are so relatable, I hope that I can get them to people that need them so that they know they are not alone in what they are feeling and we can build a community of music lovers and soul searchers.

---

I hope we’ll all be able to help Angela out with those goals!

As always, I want to thank Angela for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview. They’re perfect.

Since I know you’ll want to follow along with Angela to see what she's up to, I suggest check out all her online locations: her website and Instagram.

You should also check out her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Angela has to offer.

Thanks again Angela, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment