Monday, December 28, 2020

Katrina Gustafson Visits Section 36!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Katrina Gustafson is a talented singer, and I was so glad she wanted to visit with us and discuss her latest single, her upcoming music, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.


So, let's see what happens when Katrina Gustafson visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your recent single “Good Boys Finish Last”. What can you tell me about it?
Thank you! I wrote this song to highlight the little parts of a relationship that we forget to appreciate such as dancing like fools in public like no ones watching, unconditionally loving all versions of ourselves, and the realization that after all this time the people of the past don’t matter because it lead to this moment. The title is a bit ironic because it seems like it’s not a good thing when actually, it resembles your final match in life because after all, the last person you date is the person you share wedding rings with!


I have a country pop album coming out in January 2021 called “Unspoken” with over 10 songs that I have written and produced. They include stories of a girls night out, overcoming an emotionally abusive relationship, the struggles of being female, getting over someone but not wanting to let go, two people falling in love, the butterflies of a first date, the friend zone and so much more! 


You were able to perform at The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. What was that experience like?
I never in my wildest dream thought that I would perform at the Bluebird CafĂ©  (Especially as a freshly graduated high school student!) That’s where everyone had their start it seemed; From Faith Hill to Taylor Swift, excited was certainly an understatement. My brother, Chris, treated me to a trip to Nashville, Tennessee as a graduation gift, which I am so grateful for. We saw that the Bluebird was accepting people to perform who aren’t locals! It almost seemed like it was fate so we called early in the morning to get a spot. I called on my cell phone, Chris called on his, and my mom all the way in Massachusetts called in as well. Hilariously, my mom scored the spot for me which was amazing! My brother and I rented a guitar out last minute so I could use it for the performance that evening. When the time came for me to sing I sang two of my songs “Everyday” and “Like You”. I was in so much luck because typically the artist can only sing once that night but they picked out of a hat for the second half of the set and I was called! I loved this experience so much because not only did I get to share my music, but I got to connect with another musician who performed there named Lauren Paley who has been my online friend for years!


Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences? 
My strongest musical influence is Taylor Swift since I was 13. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a die hard Swiftie. I could probably write a book about why she is so important to me but to summarize, she is such a clever songwriter and the way she can match it to a catchy melody is something I can only wish to emulate. Throughout the years, I have gained new inspirations such as Shania Twain, Kelsea Ballerini, Kacey Musgraves, Ashley Munroe, Sam Hunt, Jake Owen, and more recently, Lainey Wilson. 


What do you miss most about performing in front of a live audience? 
I miss connecting with the audience the most. At the venues I sing at, I would tell a little story before I introduce a cover or my song. That is something I have learned to do over time since I was so shy as a teenager. 


Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?

My biggest career challenge at the moment is spreading the my music to a large audience. Another is balancing the production and songwriting aspect of being a musician while also completing grad school to be a teacher. 


What are your immediate career goals? 
My immediate career goal is being an elementary teacher. I adore children and the way they think and how they develop their own little personalities. However, I will never stop writing, performing, and reaching for the dream that my younger self wanted so badly. 

---

I definitely want to hear her upcoming album! 

As always, I want to thank Katrina for visiting, and for sending along the picture to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Katrina to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram and Facebook, and visit her website. They're great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing!

You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Katrina has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Katrina, and good luck with your upcoming album! 

No comments:

Post a Comment