Monday, December 14, 2020

Brittany Rogers Visits Section 36!

Photo by
Kyle Olthoff Photography
Section 36 Music has another visitor! Brittany Rogers is a wonderful singer, and I was so glad she wanted to visit with us and discuss her upcoming single, her goals, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Brittany Rogers visits Section 36!

I really enjoyed your covers of “Into You” and “Ocean Eyes”. What were they like to put together?
Ocean Eyes was a special cover, because I got to work with my mentor and friend @arielchobaz. His skill and insight is invaluable to me, and he suggested I look into covering Billie Eillish. That song became very important to me in the process of recording it- lyrically and melodically, that song really hits me. Ariel did the final mix down of that song, which really brought the cover to life in my opinion!

As for “Into You,” I’ve never spent more time on a production, mix, vocal performance (or energy in general) on a project in my life! I’d like to think the love and effort that went into attempting to do the original justice, shows through the final product. That was one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences of my musical career. I would love nothing more than to someday approach the quality and genius of a Max Martin production or the vocal prowess of miss Ariana Grande. I know those are big dreams, but big dreams take big time commitments- and the journey will always be worth it to me, regardless of the outcome. 

You’re a graduate of Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest thing that opportunity has done for your career?
Berklee gave me so much. I’ll touch upon 3 main aspects that
Photo By
Jon Cárdenas

helped me grow the most. First of all, validation. I know that may sound silly, but having credible validation from someone outside of your own ears is a good way to open up someone’s potential. Berklee did that for me just by accepting me into the program- and I hope that all musicians get some form of validation or encouragement early on! Secondly, Berklee gave me top level education, and I take opportunities like that very seriously. It’s easy to overlook the value of education and to just meet deadlines (I fall into that sometimes), but then I try to refocus on how special it is to grow the musical vocabulary necessary to make impactful music. Lastly, Berklee gave me deadlines! Like it or not, sometimes to meet our potential we need people who give us “more than we can handle” to realize we CAN in fact handle it (and maybe even more!)

Who/what would you consider to be your biggest musical influences?
Photo By
Jon Cárdenas
Mix Engineers: Ariel Chobaz, Jon Rezin 

Producers: Finneas, Tom Misch, Kygo
Artists: Ariana Grande, Tori Kelly, John Mayer, Eloise

You are currently the singer and producer for the band Turtlnck. What is that experience like?
I have always loved singing and writing melodies, and my best friend is an insanely talented guitar player. We started playing shows together and it just felt so good to focus on our biggest passions, collaboratively. Since then, the band has grown to a total of 5 people. I feel really lucky to get to play music I truly love, with my favorite people. 

Other than COVID, what would you say is your biggest career challenge?
I know covid has been very challenging for musicians and my
Photo by
Kyle Olthoff Photography

heart goes out to them. I feel fortunate in that I am very introverted and love the creative process even more than performing. So mixing, producing and songwriting has given me the time I need to better prepare for future performances to come! I would say the greatest challenge I have faced is over committing my time and learning that if I THINK something takes 1 hour, it will most likely take 6+ in reality.

What are your immediate career goals?
My immediate career goals are to release my ep and upcoming singles in January 2021 for my personal project, finish mixing and producing Turtlncks new ep by February, and to help promote and release a few albums for the artists I’m currently working with. And as always, to take on new clients in need of mixing & production. ️

—-

I definitely want to hear that music! 

As always, I want to thank Brittany for visiting, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Brittany to see what she's up to. The best way is to follow her online on Instagram and visit her website. They're great ways to make sure you don't miss a thing!

You can also visit her Section 36 Music page. There you'll find more links, pictures, and samples of her music. It's a great way to enjoy everything Brittany has to offer all in one place.

Thanks again Brittany, and good luck in reaching your goals! 

No comments:

Post a Comment