Monday, September 13, 2021

Lady Jessica Music Visits Section 36 Music!

Section 36 Music has another visitor! Jessica, of Lady Jessica, is a talented singer, getting ready to release her debut album. I was thrilled she wanted to visit with us and discuss her music, and more. I’m sure you’ll love everything she has to say.

So, let's see what happens when Jessica visits Section 36 Music!

I’m really looking forward to your debut album. Can you tell me about it?

Of course! My debut album is a ten-song collection of RnB/Rock inspired work, orchestrated with lush and diverse musical textures. It mixes a variety of genres, but all songs have a groove of their own. After choosing which songs to debut, I found this album has a theme of self-reflection, and I think that is so cool.


You’re currently attending Berklee College of Music. What’s the biggest way that’s benefitting your career?

Oh, wow. Well, attending Berklee has not only helped develop and expand my musical abilities/interests, but has also helped me find my truest self as an artist and person. This has happened through the teachings and wisdom of my incredible instructors and beloved mentor. I have met so many like-minded people here, and now have achievable goals that I before thought were only dreams. Maybe a bit sappy, but true.


As the world returns to live shows, what is your favorite thing about performing in front of an audience?

The energy! I think a lot of musicians would say that. There is an absolute correlation between my enjoyment of performing and the presence of an audience. Nothing compares! It is a mutual exchange of fun that is only possible in a live setting. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

I am very influenced by genres. Classic Rock was my first obsession, then came the Blues, 90’s Rock/Alternative, Reggae, and Funk. All of these are present in my music, but I would say that my voice is most influenced by women of Blues music – Bessie Smith, Big Mama Thornton, and Janis Joplin for example. Because I grew up on early 2000’s RnB and Pop, there is a definite influence of that as well, and my  phase with Musical Theater has also seeped in, adding a dramatic and thematic quality to some of my music and ideas. 


What would you say is your biggest career challenge?

At this time, being predominantly self-taught (before attending music school) has been a definite challenge, but one that I am happily overcoming. Music literacy is incredibly important for many reasons, therefore a career challenge I happily accept. Beyond that, my relationship with social media is challenging. I have never really been a "poster," so it does not come natural to me. I aim to overcome this in order to make my art easily accessible.


What are your immediate career goals?

An unshakable career goal of mine is finishing the last year of

my undergraduate musical training with as much fulfillment as possible. This next year is really important. And besides performing live again, the production of my debut album is a very important immediate goal. And, of course, I want as many people to listen to it as possible!


---


I can't wait to listen to that album!

As always, I want to thank Jessica for visiting, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.

I know you’ll all want to follow along with Jessica to see what she's up to. The best way is to visit her Instagram and her website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 

You should also listen to her on the recent Berklee Revelation Records album Radical Self Love. Jessica is also releasing an EP with a couple rock classic songs this Friday! You're going to want to listen to those when you can. And be sure to stay tuned for debut album coming out this winter!

You can also check out her Section 36 Music page. It's a perfect way to enjoy everything Jessica has to offer all in one place.


Thanks again Jessica, and good luck reaching your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment