Monday, September 30, 2024

Drew Alexa Visits Section 36 Music!

It is my privilege to say that Se
ction 36 Music has another visitor! Drew Alexa is an amazing artist, with a fantastic body of work. You should really check it all out. As a way to get to know Drew a little better, I was thrilled she was willing to visit with us to discuss her recent single, "Digging You Up", her musical goals, and more!

So, let's see what happens when Drew Alexa visits Section 36 Music!

What can you tell me about your recent single, “Digging You Up”?

My recent single is about trying to reconnect with someone from your past and realizing they’re just a stranger who knows you a little too well. I had a stripped back approach to this song because I wanted the main focus to be on the words and the story being told. I feel like this is a situation many people will be able to relate to on a deep level. One of my favorite lyrics is in this song and it’s “you’re just a stranger who knows a little too much about me”. 


What was your favorite part about the recording process?

I loved every part of recording this song. I feel like my producer and I are finally honing in on a sound that truly feels like me. We decided to keep the instrumentation very minimal by sticking to a nylon string guitar, acoustic guitar, and some nice guitar slides on an electric. It really felt like every part of the song came together beautifully to capture the sadness of the story. 


You graduated from Berklee College of Music. How did your time there help your music career?

I think Berklee definitely helped when it came to my songwriting. I had so many helpful songwriting classes during my time at Berklee, it’s like I’m a completely different writer than when I first started. I also think being surrounded by so many other talented artists and writers is something really valuable at Berklee. Hearing feedback and suggestions from my peers was the best thing for me. 


Who or what would you consider your biggest musical influences?

My biggest musical influences are Bon Iver, Sara Bareilles, Phoebe Bridgers, and Justin Furstenfeld. All of their music has played a big part in the music I write and produce. 


What do you enjoy most about performing on stage in front of an audience?

I love performing and being able to connect face to face with people through my music. I feel like it’s so vulnerable to get on stage and pour your heart out through a song, and I think there’s magic in sharing that vulnerability. I also love to see people’s reactions to my songs in live time, and getting to talk with people about how they relate to my music after the performance is done. 


What are your immediate music goals?

My goal is to continue becoming more and more vulnerable and open in my music. I want to reach people and have them feel understood through my songs. I’m going to continue developing my sound and find myself through my writing/production. 

----


That is definitely a great goal. Can always support being true to yourself!

As always, I want to thank Drew for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to accompany the interview.


I'm sure you’ll all want to follow her and see what she has going on. I would follow her on Instagram, and Spotify  to make sure you don't miss a thing. And, be sure to listen to "Digging You Up" wherever you usually find your music.

Thanks again Drew Alexa, and good luck reaching your goals!



No comments:

Post a Comment